Thanks Paul, very interesting that you got #2. If you have that QSL card nearby, I would be curious what the date of the broadcast was, and what the power level says on the card - does it list 5kw or something else? I wonder who got QSL #1?

73,
-Tim

On 01/20/2014 03:16 PM, Paul Swearingen wrote:
This is amazing, Tim. I possess the second QSL card that "George Donahue" sent out, actually the only hard-copy QSL in my collection. I'm glad to hear that he's still active. That transmitting equipment ended up in South America, he told me. I heard and recorded WJDI when he was transmitting from a longwire antenna at around 5,000 watts, I believe -Paul Swearingen, Topeka

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Tromp <kilokat7@xxxxxxxxx>
To: irca <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; ABDX <ABDX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Jan 20, 2014 1:59 pm
Subject: [IRCA] Long awaited 1620 WJDI QSL received for 1989 broadcast!

Nearly 25 years ago, while tuning around at the top of the AM dial, I
logged New York radio pirate WJDI on 1620 kHz from West Michigan. For
whatever reason, I never sent a reception report for that broadcast.
Fast forward 25 years later and this 8-1/2" x 11" beautifully framed QSL
arrives in the mail last week:

http://amdxer.com/QSL/WJDI%2011DE89%2002.jpg

And a note explaining this would be the last WJDI QSL ever issued:
http://amdxer.com/QSL/WJDI%2011DE89%2003.jpg

About a year ago I crossed paths with the person behind WJDI and
requested a QSL card, on a whim, after sending him some audio recordings
I made of that broadcast in 1989.  This is the card, received last week,
for a broadcast that took place nearly 25 years ago!

For those that may not know, WJDI was a New York area pirate that was on
the air during the late 80s / early 90s that brought about much
attention for using high powered homebrew transmitters ranging from 2.5
to 15 kilowatts.  WJDI operated on 1620 kHz, before the expanded band
came into existence.

A big thanks go to "George Donahue" for this special QSL card!

73,
Tim Tromp
West Michigan