Re: [IRCA] Sunset Skip (SSS) Top Ten Targets-Good Western Conditions

Re: [IRCA] Sunset Skip (SSS) Top Ten Targets-Good Western Conditions

In my experience, good Western conditions happen when auroral activity is particularly low for an extended period of time. Generally, conditions which favor high latitude reception (TA and TP) are also good for Westerns.

You certainly won't hear most of the beacons most evenings, however remember that in the fall the end of the month, and in the spring the beginning of the month favors them (at least at sunset and sunrise). This is why Kaz mentioned to look for some of these "the first week in February". This is because the FCC sunrise and sunset times are calculated for the month, based on the location of the sun on the 15th of the month. Therefore, most stations between February 1 and February 15 are actually doing their switch to night facilities (or signing off) AFTER genuine true local sunset. This works to your advantage.

Beacons for good late night reception here would be KFI-640 and KNX-1070 from LA, and KNBR-680 from SF. Occasionally things like KGA-1510 Spokane and KFBK-1530 Sacramento are audible under their respective Eastern dominants, and certainly these would be indicators of very good Western, and indeed high latitude conditions in general.

Earl Higgins
“Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.”  Nelson Mandela