Re: [IRCA] Perseus SDR - 6 years on and still a gem

Re: [IRCA] Perseus SDR - 6 years on and still a gem

I think it comes down to personal preference, listening environment and available time.

For the last 2 years between an insane seasonal work schedule, dealing with family issues and a prolonged illness that left me just barely enough energy to go to work and fall into bed has left me just enough time to get the weather forecast from the local station in the car on the way to/from work. I had considered the SDR route but was afraid the time constraints would leave me with full hard drives and few loggings.

I've always had as much enjoyment from building and tweaking my own equipment as listening and logging and I'm more of a knob-turner than a mouse-clicker. I'm finally finishing up a home-brew receiver tat I thought I'd have done over a year ago :( It's mostly analog with the bells and whistles I want except for 2 digital additions to make life easier.

Digital frequency control using an N3ZI DDS2 for the 1st L.O.
A Soft66 Lite for I/Q output of the 2nd IF right off the mixer.

I plan on doing single channel unattended recordings since I'm in a very noisy location and my antennas for MW are tuned narrow band recordings more than ~10-15KHz wide would be pointless.

As with anything, it's not the tool that does the work but the hand holding it.

Tim Hills
Sioux Falls, SD