Re: [IRCA] Reviewing SDR DX

You probably already have a feel for what the band sounds like normally already Les, at least on winter's evening, or around sunrise. What was your technique when you used to tune around of an evening? Did you bail out quickly if the band sounded "normal"? And was that based on a few frequencies that were unstable (for want of a better word)? If conditions were northerly, you might hear Canada there, but normally you wouldn't, for example. And if you did, you might spend more time that evening looking for other northerly signals if that's what you were interested in.

Perhaps that's the way forward with overnight recordings as well, but it may take a little while to determine what sounds "normal" at those times. Usually, you'd check a few bellweather frequencies, and if they sounded unusual, you would concentrate on that recording, while tossing the others out. A thought anyway.

I concentrate on overseas signals myself because they are self-limiting, even on the west coast. Much of the time, conditions don't justify more than a cursory listen, so SDR recordings don't last very long. About 60GBytes hits the bin every evening here. But there have been a few very nice pieces of DX captured in the process this season.

best wishes,

Nick