From: Bruce Portzer <bportzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, Oct 19, 2013 12:57 pm
Subject: [IRCA] October 19 TP Report - Grayland version

Chuck, Tom, and I are having our annual Beverage expedition to Grayland
this weekend.

The good conditions reported by Nick, Gary and Dennis were similar to
ours, though on a vastly different scale.

Most 9 kHz channels were occupied by good signals here, and many had 2-3
TPs on them.   For example,  I had AFN and at least one other station
behind VOA-1575, and a mix of Japan/China/Korea on 891.

Chinese stations were everywhere, and at times overpowered the Korean
and Japanese regulars on freqs like 1179 1422 1305 and 1503. Powerhouses
like 774 and 972 were also getting buzzed by Chinese stations.   I had
two Chinese stations on 945 at times: CNR1 and an echoey second one,
possibly the Heilongjiang Farm Network.  There were unusually strong
Chinese signals on 765 782 and 882 as well.

One of the highlights was hearing CNR11-1098 in quite well with Tibetan
//7350SW, sounding every bit like its listed 1.2MW.

The DX stayed late here too.  At 1620, there was still something on
every 9kHz split except for 531 549 576 585 and 693.  A couple of
stations, such as China 1377 and HLAM-1386, had their best signals
during this period.  The party finally ended rather quickly around 1625
when many signals took their respective nosedives, but a few like 1566
and 1575 held on until 1700 or so.   The final holdout, as near as I can
tell, was the Korean on 972 which was still producing weak audio at
1730.  Just for grins, we checked the dial for TPs at noon but couldn't
find any.

All in all, this was a better than average morning at Grayland. It'll
take quite some time for us to wade through our SDR files. I'm looking
forward to tomorrow's logs.

Bruce

editors, publishing staff, or officers