From: Michael Yule <michaelyule@xxxxxxx>
To: irca <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Sep 16, 2013 7:56 am
Subject: [IRCA] TP 16 Sep 2013 - Lions Bay BC

Hi all - this is my first set of loggings since I moved into this location on
the coast of BC just north of Vancouver. I use a Kiwa modified Sony ICF2010,
Wellbrook 1520 Imperium on a rotator, and Datong FL3. My home is about 600 feet
above sea level, facing West South West towards Gibsons BC and the Wellbrook is
about 15 metres from the house. I know that most of you have been DX'ing TP a
long time, but frankly it was a total rush for me to have amazingly readable
audio from TP locations! All of the station ID's are presumed because I did not
hear any actual ID's on air. As soon as I get some recording capability (I need
a line level converter because the 2010 line out won't push a big enough signal
into my Mac mini to do a reasonable recording) I'll probably be able to do some
'proper' ID's.

Anyway, this morning seemed like condx here were good to Japan, but not so much
to China. I note that propagation dropped severely at 14:00, just after local
sunrise. Peak was at about 13:50.

Michael Yule

1. Clearly understandable strong audio with reasonably long stretches of
readability so content could be understood by a native speaker

828 JOBB 12:23 JJ woman and man with what appeared to be language lessons but no
EE heard until tuned back at 12:40. May have been another station underneath.
747 JOIB 12:41  // 828 EE lessons
774 JOUB 12:48 // 828 EE lessons, strongest signal this morning
972 HLCA 13:47 2 females speaking in KK, signal way up at 13:48
1287 JOHR 13:29 JJ males in conversation, like an interview, also a female. Very
strong by 13:32.

2. Clearly understandable audio for short periods of time, understandable by a
native speaker

693 JOAB 13:04 JJ male with presumed news broadcast or reading some other
material
594 JOAK 12:26 JJ male and female speaking
585 JOPG 13:33 JJ male speaking
666 JOBK 13:35 JJ male speaking, animated female at 13:37
1242 JOLF 12:42 music, male speaking

3. Barely understandable audio due to low signal strength, or fading. Some words
might have been recognizable to a native speaker

531 JOQG 12:49 bits of JJ inflected speech. Also at 13:30 when I checked back,
but lots of fading and weak signal.

editors, publishing staff, or officers