[IRCA] 2013 Convention Report.

Hi All,

Arrived home 9 hours after leaving the hotel. Only about 2:15 minutes in the air. Transfer to/from the airport, a couple of hours for airport security, waiting for connecting flights, it all adds up. It must be punishment for redeeming miles. :^) Who said air travel is fun??!!

But it was worth it!!

A BIG thank you to all the organizers. I'll mention two names only, because they are the ones I remember. Master of Ceremonies Mark Durenberger and Registrar/Hospitality Suite Manager Skip Dabelstein.

Another BIG thank you to Peter Reiter for the rides to/from the Pavek Museum and to/from the WCCO transmitter site. A fine gentleman.

The theme of the convention was Learning and Sharing. While I did not have a lot to share, I sure learned a lot.

However, the best part for me was linking faces to names. I have followed the dxing exploits of some of attendees for years and to finally meet them in person was great.

John Callarman said it best, what counts/matters in the end are the wonderful memories one takes home from events like this.

The presentations were excellent. The highlights for me:

Nick Hall-Patch's DX Fish Barrel is a great tool. I hope I convinced him to try and port the software to work with the cheap RTL SDR. :)

Kaz's Chasing Sunset Skip was very informative. Pity the sunset maps have not been updated in a while. :^))) It's a convention inside joke.

Nigel Pimblett showed us Don Moman's antenna farm. My jaw still drops when I think about it.

Kaz's Advancements in MW Antennas made me think about buying some land outside of the city. Postage size backyards are a major limiting factor in MW dxing.

The auction was a lot of fun too. Phil Bytheway, the auctioneer, managed to get us to spend some money and laugh while doing it.

I wonder if Paul Swearingen succeeded in loading all his auction wins in his car. :)

I noticed that a number of MW dxers have radio voices too. I wonder how many are in the business. I think Mike Lantz is. Wally Wawro, if not in the business already, should consider. :)

Thank you Wayne Heinen for thinking of us here in the Great White North. Wayne had a few advance copies of the new edition of the pattern book, and knowing that postage costs can add quite a bit to the final price, gave us first "rights of refusal" on them.

I could not believe how good a memory Scott Fybush and others have. I have a hard time remembering the call letters of my locals. They remember not only the current but past call letters, power, patterns, locations and etc.

My final mark in The Great DX Quiz was embarrassing to say the least.

Good to meet my DXN "boss" David Yocis. We tried to connect in Ottawa some weeks ago but it was not possible.

There was a lot more, but this is getting too long.

The hotel was good, friendly staff. The complimentary airport shuttle is a great thing for those of us flying in.

The one final comment from me is about the joint convention format. I hope this serves as a template for future conventions. It was the deciding factor for me to attend this year's convention.

Thank you all for the memories.

Regards,

Vincent Ferme
Ottawa, ON, Canada