From: Theo <theod@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Jul 21, 2013 4:51 pm
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Oregon Cliff (Rockwork 4) Ultralight DU's for 7-21

Great stuff, Gary.

Um, but that's the strangest Samoan programming I've ever heard (on
783)!  That would be Wellington Access Radio with a South Asian segment.

I can't get Access' website to spit out a schedule, either on the PC or
tablet, but Samoa Capital  Radio's sked suggests they don't have any
programming from 6 p.m. NZT Friday (0600 UT Saturday) till 7 a.m. NZT
Monday (1900 UT Sunday).

Theo

On 21/07/2013 2:14 PM, d1028gary@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> First of all, thanks very much to Dennis, Bill, Nick and Walt for their DU-DX
reports this morning, which provided a very interesting comparison. The first
"Cliffhanger' DXing session at Rockwork 4 provided the typical Kiwi-slanted
results this morning, although there were a few surprises. About 18 DU's were in
audio, although huge signals were less common than usual. The biggest surprise
of the session was a booming signal from 783-Samoan Capital Radio, which nearly
pegged the PL-380 S/N display with its island-type music around 1248 (usually
this is a weak underperformer). Other than this 594-NZ Rhema had a pretty nice
signal, and the usual Kiwi big guns were well represented. Except for decent
signals from 576-2RN, 774-3LO and 828-3GI, the Aussies were pretty much missing
in action. With far more DU signals than live DXing time, I concentrated on the
low-band signals as usual.

> With the major DXpedition in Yachats (and nearby Cape Perpetua) scheduled to
start up tomorrow, there should be some heavy-duty South Pacific DXing activity
this week. This morning's Cliff DU-DXing results seem strangely out of synch
with the other reports, but I was able to record a few MP3's to back up the
claims. Hopefully Nick and the others will not feel motivated to drive down and
throw me off of the Cliff.

> 531  PI  Auckland, NZ  Fair-good signal with female Samoan voice mixing with
UniD Aussie male voice at 1305
> 567  RNZ  Wellington, NZ  Good DU English male conversation at 1252 overcoming
some KVI splatter
>             http://www.mediafire.com/listen/tp81ibsa67s0b7i/567-RNZ-1252z072113PL380.mp3.MP3
> 576  2RN  Sydney, Australia  Fair-good DU English commentary at 1235
> 594  NZ Rhema   Timaru, NZ  Good level Christian contemporary music at 1318
>             http://www.mediafire.com/listen/v2871q170bnsv0b/594-NZ.Rhema-1318z072113PL380.mp3.MP3
> 603  R.Waatea  Fair-good Maori language music at 1244, // 765
> 639  RNZ  Alexandra, NZ  Fair DU English conversation // 675 at 1322
> 657  Southern Star  Wellington, NZ  Strong level Christian music at 1222
> 675  RNZ  Christchurch, NZ  Strong level music and DU English speech at 1228
>            http://www.mediafire.com/listen/tktcaddq46c7bwg/675-RNZ-1228z072113PL380.mp3.MP3
> 738  Radio Polynesie  Mahina, Tahiti  Good TOH fanfare and French OM speech at
1200 (through KCBS splash and het)
>           http://www.mediafire.com/listen/8cscgc1gk6zhap8/738-R.Polynesie-1200z072113PL380.mp3.MP3
> 756  RNZ  Auckland, NZ  This 10 kW RNZ relay had fair signals at 1301 despite
its proximity to 750-Portland
> 765  R. Kahungunu  Napier-Hastings, NZ  Good Maori-language music at 1244, //
603
> 774  3LO  Melbourne, Australia  Fair good DU English conversation at 1238, //
828
> 783  Samoan Capital Radio, Wellington, NZ  Biggest surprise of the morning--
huge signal at 1248 almost pegging the PL-380
>           http://www.mediafire.com/listen/jfmefx37z1pbvo5/783-SamoanCapRadio-1248z072113PL380.mp3.MP3
> 828  3GI  Sale, Australia  Fair DU English conversation // 774 at 1320
>
> (many more DU signals were all over the band, but these were the ones that I
had time to investigate during live DXing during morning enhancement. Presumably
the Perseus-SDR DXers in Yachts will not have this issue :-)

> 73 and Good DX,
> Gary DeBock (temporarily in Cannon Beach Oregon)
> DXing at the "Rockwork 4" ocean cliff (photo at http://www.mediafire.com/view/khqdch7gk0w1v1l/P1100481.JPG
> 7,5" MW loopstick Tecsun PL-380 Ultralight + New 12" Medium Wave FSL antenna

editors, publishing staff, or officers

editors, publishing staff, or officers