[IRCA] SDR Recommendations?

I've been considering adding an SDR to my MW dx tool arsenal but I am a newbie in that area and am looking for any thoughts or recommendations from those of you more experienced than me. The primary appeal to me about SDR is the ability to record the entire band for later searching.

Currently, I am all Apple: Imac, Macbook Pro, iPad. I've been reading up on and have been pretty impressed with the Perseus and the WinRadio Excalibur. Are there any Mac users out there using them? If so, what do I need to be aware with regard to interface and software requirements? If Mac is out of the question for either of those, would they work with one of the new Microsoft tablet PC's or would I need a full blown Windows PC system?

Another thought I had was to initially, perhaps just 'get my feet wet' and play around with one of the USB dongles I've seen advertised. Are they a waste of time for serious use? If not, will any of those work with a Mac?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Anthony R Gargano
n2ss@xxxxxxxx