Re: [IRCA] Guy Atkins compares some 21st Century antennas.

Re: [IRCA] Guy Atkins compares some 21st Century antennas.

>>The FSL antennas were never designed to compete with large,
single-loop wire antennas in wide open spaces. Their unique advantage is
the ability to provide high-gain, low noise transoceanic reception with
a "footprint" of only one cubic yard. No single-loop wire antennas can
match them in that aspect.
In the special environment of sheer ocean side cliffs, the FSL's
apparently tap into a previously unknown cliff-side transoceanic
propagation boost, which can boost their performance up to astonishing
levels. Last year at both Cape Perpetua (near Yachats, OR) and at
"Rockwork" (near Cannon Beach, OR), an 8" FSL was providing S/N pegging
reception of 2.5 kW New Zealand stations on a PL-380 Ultralight radio.
This setup was used to provide reception of 5 DU's that were not in the
Grayland Master Log-- mostly at very strong levels. At the sheer ocean
side cliffs, the FSL's also receive some measure of back-side signal
rejection, due to the solid rock surfaces (which were blasted out by
dynamite). All of the traditional DXpedition antennas will not fit at
these special sites, which is why there is currently intense interest in
FSL antenna experimentation.<<

Gary,

I was not down playing your setup you have used on the OR coast. The
antenna is very effective and you have logged a lot of great DX.  But
for me, the EWE out here seems to work the best on what I have tried. I
used a K9AY several years back and the EWE outperformed the K9AY. Living
in a swampy area where we always have a high water table makes a
difference for the good grounds needed for the EWE. John Bryant used to
mention that the EWE never worked well in OK.
We all use what we can to get the best DX. The DX World has sure changed
from the 60s/70s.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin