[IRCA] The Battle for 970

During the wee hours (0300-0306 CDT) of Wednesday, 15 Mar 2013, I noticed two stations "battling it out" on 970. I was using my Grundig G8, which I don't use that often, instead of my Sangean DT-400W.

The first station was KIXL in Del Valle, TX, a suburb of Austin, TX, which I deduced from several references to something happening around Interstate 35 and MOPAC (MOPAC being the more familiar name of one of the highways that loop around the state capitol).

The second station was XERFR, Grupo Radio Fórmula, in México City, DF, México. Visiting their website, www.radioformula.com.mx, I found that they have a free iPhone app which I downloaded to check the streaming audio. Yep! It was them.

Don't recall if I've ever heard this battle before, so don't know if it is a result of the earth being "microwaved" by the recent X-class solar flares or not. Either way, it was a cool way to end a busy, exhausting day of looking for a job!!

73 & Good DX,

Steve Ponder, N5WBI