[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, April 12-18, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, April 12-18, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA [and non]. 990, April 17 at 0506 UT, XET`s overnite multi-decade host heard recently has now reached his show no. 18,300. Fast SAH with CBW fighting over the frequency amid America. We are somewhat closer to Monterrey than Winnipeg, but if XET were on legal night pattern southward only, CBW could dominate 990 this far into El Sur, except when aurorally attenuated.

Guess what: per NRC AM Log, CBW is not a 50 kW station at night, but cut to only 46 kW, why?? Don`t forget that FCC AM Query has full data not only on US stations, but Canadian, Mexican and thruout the Americas, with XET`s theoretical night pattern here:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/309029-60021.pdf
showing a southward circle, but a bit of a bump to the NNW, null apparently aimed at CBW to the NNE (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

======================

** OKLAHOMA. 640, April 15 at 1250 UT, almost an hour after sunrise, no groundwave signal from KWPN Moore, off the air! Just a weak SAH remains, maybe involving KFI and Juárez remnants. Left a receiver on here, and finally cut on at *1307, JIP sportstalk as ESPN affiliate (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 780, April 14 at 0524 UT, KSPI Stillwater open carrier all-night from 250-watt ``daytimer`` has been thus for weeks, any nite checked, causing fast SAH against WBBM with which it is more or less mutually nullable from here; and with WBBM out, KSPI groundwave mixes with opposite KCEG Pueblo CO country music skywave (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1000, April 12 at 0602 UT, here`s yet another Okie broadcasting dead air late at night during what should have been news on the hour: KTOK, OKC. During which I hear Juárez without having to null out KTOK, see MEXICO. At 0606 KTOK resumes modulation with musical opening of C2CAM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, April 15 at 1727-1730+ UT, KEOR is off again, checking on caradio. April 16 at 1612, is back on with usual alabanza música, checking on DX-398 in the yard (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Off again circa 1900 UT April 18. See also UNID 1120

** OKLAHOMA. 1520, April 12 at 0616 UT, KOKC `Red-Eye Radio` anti-government rant (what else?) is rudely interrupted with annoying buzz/tones like EAS tests, but this is an Amber Alert, a governmental intrusion about a baby missing in Delaware County, OK, deep in the null of KOKC. Sure hope this helps retrieve it, but seriously doubt. Also there is an intriguing musical understation, but can`t null KOKC enough to pull anything thru (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, April 12 at 0059 UT, ad or PSA about Arkansas, ``Arklahoma`` ID, 0100 bong and CBS News, so KYHN Sallisaw has finally started real programming after almost a bimonth of ``program preview`` barker loop stunting since returning to the air. By end of news at 0105, Spanish religion from 10 kW Denver (in daytime until 0145), is taking over what was already a weak presumably nighttime 1 kW signal from KYHN; also circa 0052 it had sounded like Dennis Miller. KYHN official FCC SR/SS times in April: 1145/0045 UT; May: 1115/0115 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1665, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==================

** U S A. 770, April 16 at 1214 UT, going from Beatles` ``Wanna Hold Your Haa`aa`aa`nd`` to DJ ID as ``Seven-seven``, to Dolly Parton; loops NNW/SSE, and at 1222 ad with a 972-area code, i.e. Dallas, so surely KAAM, COL Garland, address in Irving, and NRC AM Log says ``Legends 77``, but all I heard twice as a non-ID was ``seven-seven`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 870, April 13 at 0546 UT, with WWL nulled, weak Vietnamese talk still here, i.e. cheating daytimer KFJZ Fort Worth TX, making SAH of about 200/minute = three and a third Hz (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 900, April 16 at 1210 UT, ad for Northern Arkansas Regional Medical Center, on ``AM 900 KHOZ`` and another Harrison ad, its town (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 930, April 16 at 1209 UT, with WKY nulled, sounds like ``KWST Morning Edition``, mentions Cape Girardeau. It`s really KWOC Poplar Bluff MO. Detailed program schedule
http://kwoc2.mrrinteractive.com/talk-radio-programs/
confirms title ``KWOC Morning Edition`` at 6-8 am CDT containing numerous capsules including far-right huxters (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 930, April 18 at 1211 UT, checking inhabitant with WKY OKC nulled --- it`s still WTAD Quincy IL, with river levels at Quincy & Hannibal; it seems there is some flooding. Now WTAD is legitimately on non-direxional day pattern since 1130 UT in April (1045 in May), but we also hear it at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 960, April 12 at 0501 UT, instead of ABC news, the understation during KGWA Fox-hole of hummy dead air is carrying a silly ballgame, presumably base; so I have to suspend my distaste and try to ID it: players named Andy Chávez, Ross, Gutiérrez, Bzrzensky (sp?), then mentions Mariners in passing, i.e. Seattle, which explains why the game is still running past midnight Central. But surely I am getting a closer opponent`s network, likely the Rangers of Texas.

Of course I figured it was KGKL, San Angelo, as I have been hearing it normally sportless, and confirmed here as on that team`s net:
http://mlb.mlb.com/tex/download/y2013/radio_network.pdf
This info is provided solely for the purpose of DX identification, and does not constitute an endorsement by gh of SBGs being broadcast.

BTW, ABC news could be heard weakly under, and that would be KMA, which has been eclipsed lately by KGKL running ND at night. With KGWA precisely nulled as much as possible, a fast SAH is also in play, not sure between which of the three stations.

Game must have been over by 0559, when just before 0600 in a KGWA-pause, I again hear the KGKL ``Concho Valley`` ID. KGWA Enid is carrying the Business Talk Radio Network overnight, ending the Gabe Wisdom hour now, and their disclaimer runs until a few sex before 0600, leaving no time for a KGWA ID of its own before Fox ``news`` on the hour. Fine with me (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 960, April 14 at 0500 UT in KGWA Fox-hole of dead air, ABC news is easily readable, much stronger than it had been from KMA Iowa; now it`s no doubt KGKL San Angelo TX, which is getting to be a nuisance on its day facilities: not much chance of XEK, XEFAMA or the other Mexicans making it now (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 960, April 15 at 0500 UT in KGWA Fox-hole, dominant ABC news, no doubt KGKL San Angelo TX, and underneath that, ``Let It Be`` instrumental music, then something bluesy, presumed WABG Greenwood MS. Both may well be on day instead of night facilities (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 960, April 16 at 0501 UT during KGWA Fox-hole of dead air, ABC News as usual mainly heard, from KGKL San Angelo TX, but by 0503 some other English news is mixing in, with an ID in passing after 0504 as WSBT --- that`s Sound Bend IN, so rack up another one logged under my local. 5/5 kW U4 which means direxional day & nite with different patterns. Fortunate propagation, or out of whack like KGKL? I also had a possible log of WSBT with Fox News last October 15.

Ha, FCC nite map of WSBT
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/305736-3933.pdf
shows huge lobe just west of due north, and tiny, tiny lobes in all other direxions.
Day pattern has similar lobe to north, but equally to the S, pulled in toward Enid but not a deep null:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/305736-3932.pdf
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1020, April 18 at 1215 UT, with semi-local KOKP Perry nulled, Spanish suddenly switches to heavily-accented English for legal ID at odd time: ``KMMQ, Plattsmouth-Omaha, la estación oficial de la celebración del 5 de mayo en Ómaja``. How could you say Plattsmouth in Spanish? It refers to the Platte River flowing into the Missouri, but I wouldn`t call that a boca (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, April 12 at 0611 UT, alabanzas and then jingle in Spanish as ``I-J-N``, i.e. KIJN Farwell TX on the NM border, 10 kW daytimer blatantly cheating as always; but God is obviously on their side, or at least In-Jesus`-Name (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1160, April 14 at 1208 UT, banda music from SSW or is it NNE? Anyway in KSL null making slow SAH with it, but suffering from KFAQ IBOC circa 1157, so side-tuning upward helps. 1211 fading, and by 1221, the non-KSL filler instead is R. Disney = KRDY San Antonio TX. I already figured out what the SS on 1160 is in my August 27, 2011 log preserved among:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser
i.e. KCTO Cleveland MO = Kansas City market (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1290, April 15 at 1225 UT, Baxter Black cowboy humor, 1228 Wichita Falls ad including Parker Square, then headlines from newstalk1290.com along with newson6 [KAUZ-TV]. 3 Hz SAH with:

1290, April 15 at 1227 UT, YL mentions ``Mighty 12-90`` which is KOIL, Omaha NE (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1330, KCKM: received an unsolicited e-mail verie April 12:

``Glenn, I noticed in your DX log that you received KCKM in early April, just minutes before we dropped power. Our recent upgrade to 12,000 watts non-directional day combined with our 1/2 wave tower has made KCKM a great catch in the final minutes of daytime power. Congratulations! Attached is our coverage map.

And one more thing, we will be switching to C-QUAM AM Stereo on 1330 kHz by the end of the year. A lot of my contemporaries think I'm insane and that's OK. It's about time other AM broadcasters revisit AM Stereo.

Bob Souza, Managing Partner
KCKM 1330 - 12,000 Watts
PO Box 990 - 1200 S Stockton
Monahans, TX 79756
Ofc: 432 943-2588  Fax: 432 943-4540
http://www.kckm1330.com
KCKMlogo``

The map shows a circle with daytime primary coverage as far as Lamesa [whatever happened to the seventh harmonic of their NDB on 120m?], secondary coverage beyond Brownfield but not quite to Lubbock, and also out westward to Artesia and Guadalupe Mountains NP. I replied:

``Bob, Great to hear from you. It`s always nice to get an unsolicited verification (very rarely). Do you have a QSL card? If so I could send you another report directly. I often hear KCKM around sunrise, overcoming Wichita. Actually, the log you must have seen was at 1252 UT = 7:52 am CDT, so after you went to day power at 7:30 am, I believe. I don`t listen much in the evenings. Glad to hear of your AM stereo plans. Regards, Glenn Hauser, Enid`` --- And Bob Souza replies:

``Glen[n], I'm always getting confused when trying to convert UTC to local time. Yes, we would have been 12,000 watts at the time of your reception.

Unfortunately, we do not have QSL cards. In recent times, many of the 50,000 watt stations have eliminated that practice too. When I was at 940 kHz in Fresno, CA, we sent verification letters. Mostly to New Zealand, Australia & Japan.

I bought this place 6 years ago. It was licensed for 5000 watts but was running 2200 watts. It was off-the-air and about to surrender the license to the FCC. What a mess! But, I could see the potential.

Two years ago, I discovered KOYL in Odessa was gone for good. They were at 1310 kHz. That allowed me to upgrade to 12,000 watts. Sadly, a lot of stand-alone AM's in smaller communities are gone.

It cost a lot to rebuild this facility. It was a labor of love as I'm not sure I'll be able to recover this investment.

If you belong to any DX clubs, I'd be happy to run 12,000 watts after midnight if they're interested`` (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1330, April 13 at 0056 UT, KCKM Monahans TX is also audible in the evening just before sunset here, ``Classic Country music *all* the time``, ``West Texas powerhouse``. In April, 12 kW ND day power is authorized until 0115 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1360, April 16 at 1159 UT, ``go to KPSQ1360.com`` ? -- must really be KPXQ, Glendale AZ, 50/1 kW U2, PSRA 0.5. Should be on nite power now, and certainly weak enough, briefly atop (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1420, April 18 at 1141, UT M&M DJs talking about Merle Haggard`s appearance sometime in June at the Civic Center Theater; TC for 6:41, then `This Day in History` capsule introduced by Rocky the Flying Squirrel, starting with Paul Revere in 1775y. Checking the tour dates for Merle at
http://www.songkick.com/artists/366005-merle-haggard/calendar?page=2
he`s all over Canada in April-May, resuming USA in June-July and this is the match but maintaining Canadian orthography:
http://www.songkick.com/venues/101646-memorial-civic-centre-arena
i.e., Lubbock TX on 19 June.

Therefore this station is: KJDL, non-direxional 500/140/191 watts per NRC AM Log. It`s after 6 am CDT, so the PSRA power should be in effect. However FCC info at
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=4210
shows KJDL PSRA starting at 6 am local every month is only 147 watts, except for June bumped up to a hefty 168 watts, the ``limiting station`` in all cases being XEF in Juárez (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Maybe also the earlier 1420 UNIDENTIFIED, q.v.

** U S A. 1560, April 18 at 0553 UT tune-in, ID immediately as ``KLTI, Today`s True Country``. Slogan confirmed at http://www.kltiradio.com/ rather than (former?) ``Real Country``, as in NRC-AM Log; i.e. Macon MO, non-direxional 1000 watts day, 41 watts night: wonder which I was really hearing? Macon is west of Hannibal, south of Kirksville, but address is in Brookfield, some 38 miles further west where I daresay the 41 watts night are not going to reach; so where is the transmitter site? Own coverage map (from Radio Locator for day signal) shows right in Macon, and even then, Brookfield is beyond the ``local`` contour. Topo map at FCC shows a radio tower 3 km south of Macon, but is it KLTI`s? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1650, April 13 at 0056 UT looking for KYHN, but instead ``goooooooooaal``, Spanish sports, so must be KSVE El Paso TX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=======================

UNIDENTIFIED. 660, April 18 at 0549 UT, open carrier with hum, roughly SSW/NNE. Same as I had Feb 21 at 0656 when I thought KSKY TX most likely, but could also be any of several Mexicans. Is it a station not 24 hours but leaving the carrier on; or a 24-hour station failing to modulate? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 870, April 18 at 1152 UT, open carrier with no hum; surely XETAR in Chihuahua, daytimer which signs on at 1200.

However, by 1206 UT recheck something in English within the WWL 870 null with funeral notices, so must be a small town, and low temps. Bet it`s KAAN, Bethany MO, population 3060 on I-35 near the IA border (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1120, April 17 at 0510 UT, Mexican music causing heavy QRM to KMOX, and can`t really null it to be sure it`s KEOR cheating again. Makes SAH of 280/minute = 4 and two thirds Hz. 0515 fading out before I can decide if the music is praiseworthy (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1160, April 15 at 1234 UT, Spanish with phone number 773- something. Figured it was KCTO Kansas City MO again until checked area codes and 773 is a Chicago overlay, where there is WYLL --- it`s Christian talk, but all in English apparently per program schedule including at 7:30 am, `Truth for Life`. So which was it, KCTO with a coincidental number? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1420, April 18 at 0558 UT, somestation in heavy QRM mentions ``Santa Rosa`` in English --- conjuring up long-gone KSYX, first radio station in my old New Mexico hometown (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Maybe Lubbock TX, see U S A

UNIDENTIFIED. 1520, April 13 at 0555, KOKC OKC can`t be nulled completely, but Mexican music station is QRMing considerably, making fast rippling SAH; unfortunately dozed thru hourtop, but still going at 0623 before I QRT completely. Any of the six Mexicans listed in Cantú would be welcome, tho two are supposedly daytimers, and none more than 2 kW.

How about a US station? For SS on 1520, NRC AM Log has nothing closer than a daytimer in California, and a fulltimer in Oregon, KGDD Oregon City, ``La Gran D``, 50/15 kW U3, which means same direxional day & nite --- i.e. an almost circular cardioid with deep null toward OKC, throwing ``all`` the power out into the Pacific. So is KGDD out of whack, anyone else hearing it eastward? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1520, April 14 at 0531 UT, Mexican music station is tearing up KOKC and making fast SAH. Can`t see how it could be faraway KGGD Oregon City even if they have lost direxionality and running 50 kW, so either a Mexican or format change and probable cheating from some closer US station. Hoped for some announcement or ID, but just music as long as I listened until KOKC regained (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1520, April 17 at 0520 UT, mysterious Mexican music is also QRMing KOKC with fast SAH (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1520, April 18 at 0530 UT, KOKC `Redeye Radio` pauses for one-minute CBS news special report on West TX explosion; and again with heavy QRM from unknown source Mexican music, making fast SAH (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1570, April 12 at 0620 UT, gospel huxter explaining Matthew in English, is holding his own vs XERF, maybe in a fade and nullable, then resurging by 0625. The only 1570 around here running decent night power is indeed religious, Bott`s 3-kW KBCV Hollister MO (Springfield), night pattern supposedly NW/SE protecting Acuña, but we are not right in its null (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)