[IRCA] KLYC 1260 sign-off

I'm sad to hear of KLYC 1260 planning to leave the air.  I can occasionally hear them here in Spokane, usually on SRS in the morning, when CFRN is not too strong.

When I was attending Gonzaga University here in Spokane in the early 70's, one of my dormmates was from McMinnville & had worked weekends at then KMCM, which was a country station at the time.

He told me a story about being on the air there one Saturday night, probably in the summer of 1972, & he sort of deviated from the normal format.

He knew the owner was out of town & beyond reception range, & he therefore brought a stack of his favorite rock & roll 45's & began playing them on-the-air.

The program director called him to find out what was going on & he told the PD that they were the records provided there for him to play, & he didn't realize there was a problem.

According to what he told me, the PD bought his story & just told him to be careful about what he played.  Apparently, he didn't get in trouble for this.

He & I were both DJ's at our campus AM carrier current station: KZAG 700.  I was jealous that he had professional experience, as I was a broadcast major & wanted a radio career.  I was able to do that after graduation, working first at KNOM 780, Nome, Alaska, beginning in June 1974.

I hope someone buys KLYC & returns it to the air.