Re: [IRCA] Distorted Mexican on 800

Tnx, Michael,

I guess you mean the peak was at 210 degrees based on nulling plus/minus 90 degrees from that.

With protractor on a good atlas page showing both TX and Mexico, and the two cities in question, Zaragoza, Coahuila, XEZR is just SW of Piedras Negras, at 235 degrees from you, and Montemorelos NL, XEDD is 198 degrees. Would the latter be within the margin of error?

Do you hear it at all in the daytime? Groundwave should be pretty good down there. If not, possibly it`s from further into Mexico beyond the border states.

There are three other possibilites in the general direxion: Queretaro, XEGX at 205 degrees; Ocotlan, Jalisco, XEAN at 200 degrees, and furthest Tlapa, Guerrero, XEZV at 184. All approximate.

>From Enid, I measure Ocotlan at 195 degrees, = my recent approximation for the blob, but Zaragoza is very close at 197 degrees, so XEZR is the best bet from my POV.

This is all on a flat map with protractor. I haven`t gone to the trouble of using bearing and distance computation sites yet, as my margin of error is probably still too great.

If someone around Houston or El Paso could get a fix on it, we could triangulate it better. Or someone inside Mexico.

For those who haven`t been following this mystery, I remind that there are NO Texans on 800, except KDDD way up in the NW corner at Dumas, out of the question. The nearest US station in the other direxion is New Orleans.

Tnx, Glenn

=====

Hi Glenn: In regards to the UNID 800, the distorted signal is very  strong in Austin, Texas.  The signal is audible throughout the night  time hours at very strong levels.  DFing the signal (with Drake R8B and ferrite loop)  indicates a null at 210 degrees. This station has been audible for many months.

Regards,

Mike Beu
KD5DSQ
Austin, Texas

Re:

UNIDENTIFIED. 800, Dec 30 at 0647 UT, extremely distorted modulation, which we usually hear only around sunrise. Got a good DF on it, about 195 degrees,
separable from Bott gospel huxter OKC. Not much from XEROK which normally
occupies the KQCV null; problems there? So the distortion again points to one of the northeast Mexicans, XEDD in Montemorelos NL, supposedly a daytimer, or more likely XEZR in Zaragoza, Coahuila, somewhat further west. I renew my call for DXers in the groundwave area of these to confirm which it is. It`s a recurrent if not constant problem. Where are you, Steve Wiseblood, when we need you? In the Philippines (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)