[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, November 23-29, 2012

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, November 23-29, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many other individuals and publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST:  http://www.worldofradio.com/dxldmid.html

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 680, Nov 26 at 1252 UT, C temp in English, ad for Trane heating & AC mentioning Canada, CST TC; ``traffic & weather on the ones``, a slogan which is confirmed on CJOB`s homepage http://www.cjob.com/ I knew it must be CJOB Winnipeg, the only one of three Canadians on 680 which fits; in null of KNBR, but with some XE QRM and soon fading (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

====================

** OKLAHOMA. 930, Sunday Nov 25 at 1300 UT, WKY is dominated by weekly token English pubaffs show, but instead of 30 minutes, it`s back to banda Mexican music already by 1320 recheck (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, UT Sat Nov 24 at 0600-0605, KGWA Enid is again deadairing, audiblizing when carrier is carefully nulled, echoey ABC News, i.e. KMA IA and probably WERC AL. First commercial break is 0602-0603, but always national, it seems (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Nov 28 at 1429 UT, 2 kW daytimer KEOR Sperry/Catoosa/Tulsa is still playing continuous Mexican music, day and night, never any IDs or announcements; tho I haven`t been logging it every time heard (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==========

** U S A. 529, Nov 29 at 0612, the beacon at WWRB, Morrison TN, is audible with LYQ ID on MCW aside Cuba 530; haven`t heard it much since reactivation a few weeks ago as in DXLD 12-44, and suspect it is still sporadic.

Terry Krueger in FL also heard it and looked up the real callsign: WQHL966, and says ``at FCC coordinates: 35 37' 30.0" N, 86  0' 54.0" W. Google 6755 Shady Grove Road, Morrison, TN, and you’ll see the small airstrip once you move around a bit`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 660, Nov 26 at 1303 UT, ``660 AM, The Answer``, weather and traffic for Dallas, anti-Obama promo. Silly slogan for KSKY but certainly sets it apart; COL Balch Springs` claim to fame, tho studio address in Irving, W of Dallas. B.S. is on Loop 635 ESE of Dallas proper, and could be considered a suburb of Mesquite which is a suburb of Dallas, i.e. a subsuburb of Dallas (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 720, UT Sunday Nov 25 at 0610, surprised to hear Milt Rosenberg on WGN, discussion of Judaism. Has his `Extension 720` been rescheduled again? No, website still shows UT Mon-Fri 0400-0600, and after 0600 UT Sunday, `WGN Weekend Late Night`, so maybe that`s an anything-goes repeat filler block (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re my previous log of 930, WLBL, Auburndale WI, Doug Smith replies to: As for the ``bear harvest``, it must have been deer: http://www.wpr.org/news/display_headline_story.cfm?storyid=35237

``No, it's bears:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors/black-bear-harvest-nears-record-in-2012-sj7o73q-180457431.html

WLBL was originally licensed to Stevens Point, when it belonged to the
State Department of (agricultural) Markets & broadcast most of its
programming independently of WHA. Eventually, by (IIRC) 1950 the last
local progamming ended & since there was no longer a studio in Stevens
Point, FCC regulations required the station be licensed to the
community where the studios were -- and the only studios were at the
Auburndale transmitter.``

Ben Dawson replies: ``Glenn, The item above is not actually correct. An AM station has always been allowed to have its main studio at the transmitter site, whether or not it was in the community of license, or even in the same state as the community of license. And plenty of AM stations have their transmitters outside the community of license, of course.``

To which Doug replies: ``Interesting. I'd thought that was a (relatively) recent change in the rules. Which does raise a mystery: why didn't WLBL stick with Stevens Point if it wasn't the city of license rule?`` (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 930, Sunday Nov 25 at 1300 UT as WKY OKC is starting its token English pubaffs show, I null it to find something else in English, country music, then 1301 ID as ``Colorado Country, 101.9 FM, KRKY, Winter Park`` --- the parts I caught, mentioned other words, maybe the AM frequency, and Granby, its city of license. Then apparently same station into talkshow about free speech, someone paranoid about the Obama administration`s FCC trying to control broadcasting.

In NRC AM Log, FM frequency chex except its real call is K270AL, another case of tail wagging dog in the mad rush by AMers to get on the FM band by any means possible. KRKY 930 is 4500/121 watts non-direxional, and I would be pleased to have heard it at night power, until November official sunrise at 1345 UT (December: 1415). O, KRKY enjoys a PSRA of 500 watts from August thru April, i.e. starting at 1300 UT.

It`s hard to imagine how this translator in such a mountainous area at the SW corner of Rocky Mountain National Park, could have better coverage than AM, unless the FM is atop a peak. FCC shows:

Effective Radiated Power (ERP):          0.25 kW
Antenna Height Above Average Terrain:    0. meters HAAT --
Calculate HAAT [leads to 156 meters, standard disclaimers]
Antenna Height Above Mean Sea Level:  2530. meters AMSL
Antenna Height Above Ground Level:      55. meters AGL

Elevation of the town of Granby itself is 2428 meters, so K270AL is not much higher. Comparing the coordinates of FM and AM, they are almost identical, only the FM latitude being two seconds further south (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1030, Nov 27 at 0602 UT, ID for KCWJ and KCWJ.org and into Fox `news` two minutes late; what`s with that? Starts with same story heard at 0600 on KGWA 960 without Fox-hole. Blue Springs MO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1040, Nov 26 at 1310 UT, in WHO null, ad for Dr. Monica Dobbins, dentist and alleged cousin of the speaker, on Cheyenne Blvd., 719-423-5122; promo Colorado Springs Radio Group. So I am confident this is KCBR Monument CO, which NRC AM Log 2012 says has a nostalgia/talk/religious format.

It`s always non-direxional, with 15 kW day, 2 kW critical hours. Official sunrise in November is not until 1345 UT; December 1415. Also has PSRA of *one watt* starting at 1300 UT in Oct-Jan, doubling to two watts in Feb, quintupling to 10 watts in March, and then 500 watts rest of year when SR is after 6 am local --- April, August, September. Well, this was no puny one watt (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1650, Nov 28 at 1418 UT, an hour after sunrise here, I pull some Spanish past 1640 KFXY local --- talking about ``la frontera`` and El Paso before fading out, so presumed KSVE, María, rather than Denver, whose other X-bander on 1690 was still audible (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1670, Nov 29 at 0613 UT, jazzy Xmas music, 0614 ID as WTDY-AM, then ``I`ll Be Home for Xmas``. Also after sunrise here at 1340, more Xmas music and ID as WTDY FM and AM. So much for their news/talk format which was after all ``temporary duty``; presumably will be something else once this holiday stunt is over. And not bad for battery power from Ray O Vac Lane in Madison WI (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 950, Nov 26 at 1327, ID in passing sounds like KGON, CCI and ACI from KGWA 960. Nothing like it in the NRC AM Log, nor in a fuzzy/fuzzier search at http://topazdesigns.com/ambc/
Referring to a related FM? Not KGON 92.3 in Portland OR; and there is no KGOM on FM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1710, Nov 24 at 1908 UT, weak carrier; maybe signs of an incipient TIS? In my nighttime MW scans, I always include 1710 and have yet to hear any sign of the pirates frequently reported from further north and east (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)