[IRCA] KBBS 1450 Buffalo, WY Goes 'Round the World... Again!

[IRCA] KBBS 1450 Buffalo, WY Goes 'Round the World... Again!

>From bighornmountaradio.com/Legend Communications News Director Justin
Wolffing. Repinted with permission..

For the second time in over a year and a half, someone in a far off land
has received our faithful 1450 AM KBBS, the Voice of Buffalo. KBBS
broadcasts 1,000 watts, and covers most of Johnson County and parts of
Sheridan County during the day. At night, you've probably noticed you can
hear AM stations much farther than normal. This is due to the radio signal
reflecting off of Earth's ionosphere. Scientifically speaking, the signals
bounce off the "F layer" of the ionosphere, or 124+ miles (200 kilometers)
above the ground. KBBS' 1,000 watt signal did just that, received 4,623
miles (as the crow flies) from Buffalo in Stockholm, Sweden. Lars Skoglund,
a member of the Swedish DX Federation, received KBBS in the early morning
hours of October 23rd, between 2:15 am and 2:45 am. His report of reception
included details about programming heard on KBBS at the time.  Skoglund is
using a special radio receiver and a 2,624 foot (800km) long wire antenna
to receive stations from that distance.  We were able to check our logs and
can confirm Skoglund was hearing KBBS at the time of reception. Last year, KBBS
was received<http://www.bighornmountainradio.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=296:kbbs-goes-around-the-world&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=58>in
Finland.

Paul