[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, November 2-8, 2012

[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, November 2-8, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

** MEXICO [and non]. 960, Nov 5 at 0601 UT, clear ID mentioning ``la frontera, XEK, Nuevo Laredo, 5 mil watts`` and then the 4-descending ``XEW`` chimes, which I had heard before on this frequency. My persistence in monitoring the KGWA dead-air pentaminute every night, now shifted to 0600-0605 UT, has paid off. Very strong local 1 kW carrier a few miles away has to be nulled very precisely with my altazimuth antenna mount, i.e. my wrist and left hand manipulating the DX-398, steadied by my right hand. And at certain near-null positions, terrific hum level appears, why? Even on battery, not AC. XEK soon loses out to QRM, 0603 back to something in English (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, KGWA dead air break was not checked at 0600 UT Nov 7 due to elexion returns; but it`s observed UT Nov 8 during which I hear with carrier nulled, ``otro recuerdo musical``, probably from XEK Nuevo Laredo; and shortly, ABC news, probably KMA Shenandoah IA; and a bit of ``Stranger in Paradise`` tune before 0605 KGWA blasts modulation back on with funeral home ad (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 880, Nov 2 at 1110 UT, YL reciting slowly lots of two-digit numbers in Spanish, also mentioned Mérida twice, so I figure it`s early enough for Yucatán to be propagating in the KRVN null. Trouble is, there are no 880 stations in that state per our three major references, so that`s a dead end. How about Mérida, Venezuela? Not there either, but probably too late anyway. The numbers could be in decreasing order of probability: lottery, phone, or spy. Whatever became of the Lotería Nacional in México? We don`t hear about it much, if at all (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)