[IRCA] ground conductivity

(sorry for the strange way of quoting below, but the server at ieee.org was down due to power outages in New Jersey had apparently shut down the server at ieee.org at various times over the weekend; I presume that mail was bouncing at that time because I haven't seen any queued mail from then, and am catching up on my IRCA list mail on hard-core-dx.com. And, lest you should ask why the world's premier engineering organization doesn't have appropriate backup power, I imagine that you are not alone. Perhaps they sited the generator just above sea level?) At any rate I lost a fair lot of mail, and I suspect that this list stopped accepting mail from me also as a result of the bounces.

So, getting back to the topic below, I guess John's reply illustrates my point. Direct water path "should" be more important, and our South American logs attest to that, but in fact, 20+km of land between us and the water path to Asia and Europe/Middle East didn't seem to attenuate signals much. If they did, then the direct water path signals must have been truly magnificent. So, I was wondering if intervening land with higher ground conductivity attenuated long haul signals less (I wasn't talking about the ground under the antennas ). Chuck, did you have intervening land to much of your DX targets in Newfoundland?

I've never DXed from Newfoundland, but it seems that recently Allen Willie has been lamenting the lack of DX from a more inland location than he is used to at home on the coast.

best wishes,

Nick

Tuesday, November 06 2012

<http://www.hard-core-dx.com/index.php?topic=IRCA>
IRCA

I would tend to agree with Chuck that when you are on the coast, the direct
water paths to the target areas are more important than ground conductivity.
Conductivity is good, but, Gary DeBock's cliffside (rocks) listening with
ultralights would tend to support the importance of a clear shot across the
water even without Beveridges.

John
I think PEI has the inside edge to a lot of DX, Gary. We were on the northern shore of Howe Bay, with a good water path to South America, but in fact there was a bit of a land path to much of northern Europe and the Middle East, and certainly to Asia, yet heard some amazing signals. I suspect that mucky red soil is fairly conductive, but still. And the antennas used were corner fed loops and an ALA100, suburban yard antennas.