[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, September 7-20, 2012

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, September 7-20, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many other individuals and publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST: http://www.worldofradio.com/dxldmid.html

These logs are in three sexions, Oklahoma, rest of USA [in two weekly parts here], unidentified, separated by =======  Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. Glenn, was paging thru the Oklahoma logs/notes in DXLD
12-36 and noticed your question re: KXTD-1530. I'll try to listen a
few mornings this week on the way to work and see if KXTD is now ESPN
deportes. I'll check out 1530 periodically this weekend as well (Bruce
Winkelman, Tulsa, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Glenn, just listened a bit to KXTD-1530. 1834 CDT 08SEP12 gave a great
"ESPN Deportes Radio" slogan in what sounded like a fútbol game
broadcast (Bruce Winkelman, Tulsa OK, ibid.)

** OKLAHOMA [non?]. 1570, Sept 18 at 1222 UT, I have been listening to XERF (see MEXICO), when another SS appears, sports talk ``para todo el país``, ESPN Deportes. Pronounced ``i-es-pi-en``, i.e. the letters as in English, which the network mandates everyone to say, to forestall Spanish snickers about male members (a word I avoid only in case of spam filters).

An unwieldy brand name in English is even more so in Spanish; IIRC it originally meant Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (on cable TV). I don`t find a single SS ESPN affiliate on 1570 in NRC AM Log 2012 --- I went thru all 63 listings twice; no quick searching on paper --- and as previously mentioned, no affiliate list can be found on the ESPN-D website (if anyone has one, please let us know!).

Can it be nearest 1570, KZLI Catoosa/Tulsa? How about 1530, which we already know is ESPN Deportes in that market? At 1306 UT when XERF is no longer a problem, I compare the two. Yes, ESPN Deportes on 1570 // 1530, except 1530 is unsynchronized a fraxion of a second behind 1570. Both loop east/west. 1530 and 1570 have previously been simulcast in Tulsa with some other format, temporarily? They are jointly owned, along with 1270, so anything could happen, but you`d think a simulcast would be synchronized, so 1570 could still be somewhere else. Another question for Bruce Winkelman inside Tulsa.

Program notes: at 1306 the program is apparently called ``Raza Deportiva`` (if not RASA, a network), talking about fútbol, US teams, Mexican, even Real Madrid. So is it only about soccer or American football too? 1313 on 1570, promo for Iespien Deportes Radio; now both are weakening, but not fading at same time. The Tulsans at 100+ miles do benefit from skywave vs groundwave.

Wikipedia thinx 1570 Tulsa is still Que Buena, which is really now on 1270, and linx to http://lamegatulsa.com/home/ which claims 1570 AM is La Mega. Beware: vamping music loop launches automatically. Please stop! Try to launch live(?) audio on Winamp but no funciona. This website could be on autoplay two years out of date judging from one date I can find on it. Has Twitter linx to ``7 days ago`` full of innumerable duplicate twits from one Diana Reyes, apparently a music promotriz.

Another approach: search on ESPN Deportes 1570 leads to an ESPN app provided by 970/1570 La Raza in Jaxonville FL, but no evidence that their 1570 WVOJ axually carries ESPND, and even with 10 kW day power, it`s way too late for that to be making it out here. Visiting
http://larazalaraza.com/jacksonville/?p=2889
is not a total loss with cheesecake, even some with classical music (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Re my query about 1570 and 1530 in Tulsa market:

How lucky can I get?? Got off work early this afternoon, found your email re: 1570 KZLI, tuned into 1570 and promptly heard "ESPN Deportes Radio" jingle into a DUAL ID in English "KXTD 1530 Wagoner and KZLI 1570 Catoosa" into "SportsCenter" in Spanish. Glanced at the clock and realized I had stumbled onto the 1600 CDT 18SEP12 TOH ID. So it appears that 1530/1570 simulcast ESPN Deportes. The AM band in Tulsa now has 5 sports format stations: 1300 KAKC, 1430 KTBZ, 1530 KXTD, 1550 KYAL, and 1570 KZLI (3 English, 2 Spanish). 73, (Bruce Winkelman, Tulsa, OK, Sept 18, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=================

** U S A. 530, Sept 9 at 1945 UT, parked outside a fast-food chicken
restaurant in mid-Enid, bonus soft-serve ice cream truncated cones
with each order, it must be a low-noise oasis, since I am pleased to
hear very weak weather reports for various cities from OKC to Dodge
City to Topeka. No doubt it is one of the Kansas Turnpike Authority
HARs, or is it a TIS? Probably the nearest, South Haven just across
the OK line (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. I tried 540 today Sept 12 around 1940 UT on the caradio at a
relatively quiet spot in Enid where I could also barely make out KTA
on 530: 540 quite dominated now by Spanish from KDFT Ferris TX [The
Metroplex]. Just a trace underneath maybe of KWMT and a very slow SAH
well less than 1 Hz. In contrast 570 had a much bigger groundwave
signal from WNAX SD under the next Dallas station up the dial, KLIF.
Of course, in the good old days the TX station on 540 did not exist.
If it were off now, I`m afraid KWMT Fort Dodge IA would still be JBA (Glenn Hauser,
Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, Sept 11 at 0507 UT, `Red Eye Radio` is starting, weak
signal from E/W, so my first suspect is KKOB NM. Yes, it`s the only
affiliate on 770 per
http://redeyeradioshow.com/sectional.asp?id=24651

But now the usual dilemma: here near the null of Albuquerque toward
WABC, is it a remnant of the main 50 kW signal from the North Valley
or the 230-watt non-direxional night-only fill-in co-channel booster
with no separate callsign in Santa Fe? I`ll take the latter. This was
about 13 seconds behind another RER on 760, i.e. WJR (also on KFMB San
Diego, but not until 0700 UT; never heard here. See also 820 log.)

BTW, the station list above has very handy linx to the full program
schedules of each station (if they have one!), showing RER is also on
KKOB`s substation KTBL 1050 in Albuquerque, why? Well, it starts at 11
pm local there, while KKOB doesn`t start until midnight weekdays,
according to the schedule dated August 13, 2012, O yeah? This is
Tuesday and it *is* on 770 already at 11+ pm MDT. Or does this mean
it`s really some other 770 station not yet on their roster? KTBL
stands for Talk-Business-Life featuring such wackos as Glenn Beck and
Mike Huckabee elsewhen (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 780, Sept 11 at 0514 UT, music under WBBM OTR; nulling WBBM,
it`s ``16 Tons``, but not quite the bass resonance of the original
Tennessee Ernie Ford; 0517 ID as ``Songs you remember, KCEG 780``,
into brief banjo tune. It`s the new Pueblo CO station as widely
reported, but my first official log of it. NRC AM Log shows 720 watts
at night, 24 hours ``The Ranch`` with C&W, so that format has already
changed. Night pattern at
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/1424704-114686.pdf
shows major lobe to NNW, minor to SSE, and nulls of course toward
Chicago and Reno. Not much toward OK either. Luckily, KSPI Stillwater
OK daytimer was not burning its open carrier all night this time
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 820, Sept 11 at 0519, I notice another station with WBAP
nulled, and it`s also on `Red Eye Radio`! but about 5 sex behind WBAP.
NRC AM Log lists one other ``RER`` affiliate on 820, WWBA Largo FL
which is 1 kW at night. Program website
http://redeyeradioshow.com/sectional.asp?id=24651
confirms it`s the only other 820 affiliate. I was afraid I would have
to click on every 820 state on the map to be sure, but pick a state
such as Florida and the whole list appears, then easily searched. RER
is the recently renamed trucker show, ex-`Midnight Radio Network`, and
it originates at WBAP (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 840, Sept 12 at 1159 UT, KXNT North Las Vegas NV is again
heard with the same commercial from a couple of weeks ago at this
time, The Yes Man Can, air-conditioner service; ID for 100.5, 840 and
``HD`` channels, bong and CBS news at 1200. We continue to suspect we
are getting more signal than we should be judging from their pattern
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. [Re 12-36] 1010, Sept 5 at 1215 UT, station break between
gospel huxters, ``We are 10-10 AM, KXEN, good news for Saint Louis``.
Sufficient signal I find hard to believe is the alleged temporary 350
watt transmitter at WGNU in Illinois. Makes 6 bars on the DX-398
signal meter; what about 50 kW KMOX at same time? Also 6 bars! But
must have been in a fade, since the latter soon increases to 8 bars.
But then a portion of its power is wasted on the IBOC sidebands. I
wonder how the groundwave strength of KXEN seems in the St Louis area
now. Could be the temporary antenna setup favors skywave (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Glenn, After hearing this on last week`s WOR program, I then asked
KXEN about this. This is what they said; you may repeat this according
to the GM!!

Hi Artie - "KXEN is still broadcasting at 50 kW. The STA may never
occur and will be temporary if does happen." "Thanks for the email."

Dirk L. Hallemeier, Manager
5615 Pershing Ave., Ste. 12
St. Louis, MO  63112
314-454-0400 | F 314-448-4999 (10 Sep via Artie Bigley, DXLD)

The original source for this item apparently jumped to a conclusion
that it was true:

``FCC Actions: 1010 KXEN MO St. Louis – Licensed for U4 50000/500,
KXEN has a CP for U4 50000/420. This action temporarily moves their
transmission to Tower #2 of the WGNU-920 transmitter site located 1.16
km east of the KXEN site with U1 350/125.

The land on which KXEN’s towers are located is being sold and the new
owners have indicated that the land will be used for commercial,
rather than as a broadcast tower site. The temporary facilities will
be in force until KXEN finds a new tower site and the facility can be
built (Bill Hale, NRC DX News Aug 13 via DXLD 12-35)``

Many thanks for all your work on this for many years! It seems STA
info is VERY shall we say ``circumstantial`` [or rather contingent].
73, (Glenn to Bill Hale, who has just retired from his NRC AM Switch
column, via DXLD)

Yeah, I know what you mean about STA stuff. But then, over the years
KXEN has been sort of, what you might say . . . a 'flighty' operation.
At least it was. May not be the case nowadays. They sure have had
their share of applications. It's funny, though, that if a station
tasks its engineers to come up with a 'plan' (in this case an STA),
then doesn't follow through, it has wasted time, materials and most of
all, money. They must have had some idea that they would need an STA.
Makes me wonder (Bill Hale, TX, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

We`ve run into other STAs which are on the FCC records ``just in
case``, e.g. KOSU`s antenna site change to KWTV tower, which never had
to happen (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1440, Sept 11 at 0457 UT, local ads mentioning Quincy for
termite & pest control, Habitat for Humanity. Since they didn`t
pronounce it Quinzy, I assume it is Illinois, not something around
Boston such as WVEI Worcester MA; i.e. WGEM, which is also about three
times as close. I see this once great station is now just an ESPN
clone dedicated to the total waste of human attention and resources
known as stupid ballgames (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

===========

** U S A. 680, Saturday Sept 15 at 1210 UT, lexure about ``expanding our intellexual bandwidth`` from Afghanistan and Pakistan, to the Pacific. Good dominant signal for a few minutes, no doubt the `Commonwealth Club` from KNBR San Francisco, probably the only hour per week this once great station is worth listening to, breaking format from stupid ballgames, safely at a throwaway 5 am time when audience will be smallest; could be mistaken for a public radio station, many of which also carry this non-commercial hour when audience is awake (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 690, Sept 18 at 0538 UT tuneby, ``news on demand at KTSMRadio.com``. Tnx very much. Hey, that used to be on 1380; swapped with KHEY so KTSM gets the 10/10 kW bigsig while KHEY was demoted to 5/0.5 kW, even worse with much smaller hiband coverage. NRC pattern book shows 690 throws almost all its night signal SSW for great coverage of Chihuahua in English, with tiny lobes or nulls (hard to tell which) toward us and KGGF Coffeyville KS (and Montreal whether anything is there or not), and KGGF gets to aim right toward El Paso at night! Yet at the moment KTSM has the edge here. I demand to know why (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 720, Sept 17 at 1142, ``Deportes 7-20 AM`` slogan, CCI from Mexican music. I was hoping that name would be listed but it`s no Mexican in WRTH, IRCA or Cantú, so unless new, it may be just a program reference rather than station`s entire name?

No, it`s surely KSAH Universal City (San Antonio) TX, as that`s its latest format per Wikipedia: ``KSAH broadcasts a Spanish-language sports talk format including ESPN Deportes programming to the greater San Antonio metropolitan area. In 2010, it started simulcasting a Regional Mexican music format on KSAH-FM (104.1 FM). In June 2012, the music format moved exclusively to 104.1 FM and the AM station now broadcasts sports talk`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also MEXICO 720 logs

** U S A. 840, Sept 13 at 1159 UT, Yes Air Conditioning & Plumbing ad, same as heard a few times before at this minute from KXNT, North Las Vegas NV, before CBS news. Did not even need to stay tuned for another ID. Recheck at 1217, the signal is peaking stronger during item about new walkie-talkie from Apple. Local sunrise was 1213 (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 840, Saturday Sept 15 at 1159 UT, National Guard PSA, 100.5 Newsradio KXNT etc. ID, bong and CBS News, usual fair but steady signal from North Las Vegas NV at this hour, that nominally very minor lobe continuing to serve us well. At 1208, amid infomercial interview about something with enzymes, Resveratrol. So much for all-news. As everyone knows, nothing ever happens on weekends (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Sept 13 at 1210 UT, ``Amazing Grace`` but I can`t understand a word of it, because it must be in Navajo; 1212 onto equally incomprehensible announcement except for ``September thirteenth``. So it`s KHAC Window Rock AZ, or rather COL Tse Bonito across the line in NM. NRC AM Log shows slogan is now ``Voice of Encouragement``. So is it on 430 watt night power or 10 kW day power, both non-direxional? NRC AM Log mentions no PSRA, so it must be night. Official September FCC sunrise there is 1300 UT.

Meanwhile, neighbor 660 KTNN is behaving itself; XE is still dominating that frequency at 1213 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 930, Sept 13 at 1202 UT with WKY OKC groundwave in deep and tight null I am pleased to get something else, probably the same as unID previously, not KCCC NM. String of PSAs in lieu of network news on hour, separately mentioning 22nd Street & Coal in Tucson, about some disability organization; Arizona with a 971- exchange phone prefix; 1205 American Heart Association; pro-life info at station website kvoi.com; 1206 Dennis Prager with local promo for his show on ``Tucson`s AM-1030``, then opening Bill Bennett `Morning in America` show. I don`t see anything about pro-life on the website, but they have quite a mix of local and national talk shows, the latter including other second-string far-righters such as Dennis Miller.

No mention of 930 on 930! New NRC AM Log shows 1030 is KVOI, COL Cortaro AZ but address in Tucson, ``The Voice``, and 930 is also ``The Voice``, same address in Tucson, but is really KAPR in Douglas on the border, with 2500 watts day, 71 watts night, PSRA of 500, all non-direxional. Since it`s only 5 am MST by real time, the usual question arises with Arizonans, whether it could legally be on 500 watts an hour before 6 am local, or gets to pretend it`s 6 am by unobserved MDT.

FCC AM Query shows the two stations are not jointly owned: 1030 by Good News Communications, 930 by Sonora Broadcasting, so I suppose 930 is LMA`d (and not even due the courtesy of a joint mention in IDs and promos). Cortaro is just NNW of Tucson on I-10, while Douglas is in the SE corner of AZ. About Us on the KVOI site explains:

``Good News Radio Broadcasting (GNRB) is a non-profit organization that owns Good News Communications (GNC) a for profit organization. Through GNRB and GNC we operate the following radio stations:
KVOI 1030 AM "The Voice" (News/Talk) Tucson
KGMS  940 AM "Good Message" (Christian Talk) Tucson
KLTU 88.1 FM "KLOVE" (Positive & Encouraging Music) Tucson
KCEE  690 AM (Pop Classics) Tucson
KAPR  930 AM "The Voice" (News/Talk) Douglas
KNXN 1470 AM "Good Message" (Christian Talk) Sierra Vista``
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re: ``1010, Sept 14 at 1220-1232+ UT, impassioned monolog by preacher in Spanish. Loops due east/west which rules out Mexico unless it`s XEDX Ensenada, but not with that format: it`s a W network station, featuring at 4-7 am a clown called Brozo, hee hee.

So the only US station fitting for Spanish religion is per NRC AM Log 2012-2013y: KXXT Tolleson AZ, 15000/250 watts, Phoenix market. From the dominant signal over KXEN et al., I would guess it`s on daytime power despite being 5:20 am MST; standard remark about Arizonan anomalies. Can`t find a program schedule on their website, but separate views of the facilities and the personnel along with sister station KXEG at http://www.1280kxeg.com/ (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)``

``1010, KXXT, Tolleson AZ - 1100 UT 9/9 - With local religious programming and interview, Phoenix area churches mentioned with addresses, spots for "familyvaluesradio.net" which directs to KXXT's website. Promo for new show "Arizona At Work" with a couple of nice call letter IDs. Very good signal for about 10 minutes (Tim Tromp, Muskegon MI, MARE Tipsheet via DXLD)``

In view of this I must reconsider my KXXT presumed log above. It was based on three strong circumstances: direxion, day pattern which is a tangent circle to the east, and listing in NRC AM Log 2012 as REL/SS:REL. Looking at the website again, it`s all in English and there is no indication that it broadcasts at all in Spanish. But in a place like Phoenix, it`s still possible that it has some Spanish, altho mainly English, and I assume that is what NRC`s ``REL/SS:REL`` means, rather than just ``SS:REL`` which would be fulltime Spanish religion or ``REL`` which would be fulltime English religion. I brought up their webcast Sunday afternoon and it was in English then.

Anyhow, another look thru the NRC AM Log for possibilities, Spanish and/or religion westward from here:

KIQI San Francisco CA is SS:NWS/TLK, but in the middle of the night, they could stick in a preacher. Fortunately has a program schedule:
http://www.kiqi1010am.com/programs
So what would be on around 5:30 am PDT Friday?
``05:00 am –  06:00 am Mi Familia en Cristo (Tuesday & Thursday)``
Close, but nothing listed for M/W/F. So they turn off the transmitter? Ha! KIQI does have quite a bit of Spanish religion scattered thruout the week`s schedule. But pattern book shows almost all of the signal going out into the Pacific, day and night, nulling toward Salt Lake [and Toronto?]. Unlikely at over two megameters.

KTNZ Amarillo TX is Tejano, which means music style, and not specified as announced in Spanish; another possibility, altho its 500 watt night power and proximity are in favor of it, if they would run a preacher in Spanish. Another annoying station without a website, or at least not making a top Google hit, instead hits on numerous directories or streaming sites which are notoriously outdated. Wikipedia has it as country, nothing about it being in Spanish, and no link to an own website either. Night pattern has null toward Toronto, so much attenuated usward. Unlikely, altho I am sure I have heard it before at least on day pattern, only 400 km away.

KLAT Houston TX: TLK/Univisión América network --- Spanish but supposedly not religion; and my DF would have to be way off. Again no local website so no program schedule, other than link to Ua. Unlikely.

KIHU Tooele UT: Immaculate Heart Radio, also EWTN network, supposedly English and we know EWTN has separate Spanish programming available. But mixed in? KIHU does have a program schedule and it`s all in English (or Celtic?) including at the time I heard Spanish.
http://ihradio.com/schedules/salt-lake-city-schedule/
Very unlikely.

So all this still leaves KXXT as the most likely, but it would be better to get some local reference or ID. Did not show up again around same time Sept 17 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1010, any doubt that the SS religion I was getting here came from Phoenix has now been eliminated: Sept 18 at 1205 UT, OM sermon again, looping east/west. 1230 still in, now SS YL with announcements of church service schedules, some partly en inglés, with numerous 602-AC phone numbers. 1232 ad in Spanish for Christian Auto Care. Hmm, how can you tell if your car is Christian? One can only hope. 1233 ad for an abogada also with a 602-phone who handles immigration cases. So it is without a doubt: KXXT, COL Tolleson AZ, surely on 15 kW day power and pattern eastward rather than 250-watt night power, despite it being only 5:30 am there MST; a bilingual religious station (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1430, Sept 14 at 1235 UT just as I tune by, ``Central Nebraska`s news leader, KRGI``, i.e. U2 5/1 kW Grand Island. By now it`s on non-direxional day power, the Sun having ofFCCially arisen there in September at 1215 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1460, Sept 18 at 1215 UT, ``Thunder Country 97.3 and 1460``, weather. Therefore it`s 1 kW KKOY, Chanute KS, while 97.3 is a mere translator, K247AT, per NRC AM Log, yet they give it top billing, as any FM surely deserves (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1660, Sept 16 at 0048 UT, as I tune in, mentions ``KCEN-HD News``, apparently ending a half-time report in some silly ballgame involving Baylor, so it`s obviously KRZI Waco relying on ``channel 6`` television for newsbits. I remember seeing their tall tower and studios right on I-35 near Temple, and of course I DXed KCEN-TV a number of times by tropo from OK when on analog 6. Station history:
http://www.kcentv.com/story/11314168/kcen-hd-digital-channel-61
which never gets around to mentioning what RF channel it is *really* on now, which is 9; no, not 61. On caradio, nondirexional vertical antenna, dominating but something under almost sounds Asian; maybe an accented speaker from Kansas City (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

===========

UNIDENTIFIED. 860, Sept 11 at 0521 UT, tonetest of less than 1 kHz;
from strength and direxion it`s most likely my nearest, KKOW Pittsburg
KS; why? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Sept 20 at 1142, ranchera music making slow SAH with KRVN NE, but generally atop it, and also QRM de KLRG AR. KRVN unavoidable, this loops SSE so if it`s Mexican it has to be from the Yucatán peninsula, unlikely. 1147 OM DJ with catch-phrase ``la que llegó para quedarse`` and phone number, for requests? 1150 outro to a ``corridito``, ID as Radio Aleluya, plugging church services with schedules, one on Calle Pasadena; several 713-AC phone numbers, mentions TV canal 30.1, catch-slogan again. Somewhat overmodulated and distorted. It`s KJOZ Conroe TX (rimshooting Houston), as in NRC AM Log with Spanish religion, address in Pasadena TX, 10/1 kW but sounds like day power already (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1120, Sept 13 at 1224 UT, I am getting a very weak signal with music making SAH of about 6 Hz with KMOX nulled, which hasn`t outfaded yet. Mexico unlikely at this hour and angle. Assuming it`s also unlikely from anywhere eastward (tho there is a 10 kW in Mississippi, religious WTWZ), there aren`t many possibilities in the NRC AM Log. KEOR Catoosa/Tulsa OK we know is still silent, as never heard in full daytime. KLIM Limón CO would be a good bet except it`s been silent for a decade! KTXW in Manor TX (Austin area) is new, not yet on air. That leaves KPNW in Oregon, too far and a talker; and best bet KANN Roy UT, 10/1.1 kW, religious/AC format (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1260, Sept 6 at 1213 UT, weak Mexican music looping
NE/SW. At this hour I have a feeling it`s from the USA, not the USM.
No Texans listed as such; suspect it`s KDLF Boone, Iowa, 5 kW ``La
Reina`` as in NRC AM Log (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1279.0, Sept 11 at 0458 UT, 1 kHz het against 1280
signals; not a tone as nothing on 1281. Typical Cuban behavior, except
this loops NE-SW. Ideas? Of course, it`s not a TA channel either which
would be 1278.

1279, at 0500 UT Sept 12, am again hearing a carrier here hetting 1280
stations (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1634, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1570, Sept 19 at 0548 UT I am surprised to find a station in English, an interview discussing speaking Chinese, giving XERF a run for its money when nulled, making a fast SAH with it, before XERF fades back up. There are dozens of US stations allowed less than 1 kW at night, some watts in the double or even single-digits, but my wild guess as the most likely here is KBCV Hollister MO (address: Springfield) which somehow merits a hefty 3 kW at night, and is not that far away in the appropriate direxion. FCC AM Query shows night pattern with major lobe NW, minor lobe ESE, with nulls toward Del Rio and opposite; we are on the edge of the NW lobe westward from it. KBCV is a Bott religious station, i.e. the interview would be about missionary work (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1610, Sept 11 at 0529 UT, I am pulling some Spanish thru
the IBOC noise from 1600, by sidetuning to 1608. Could it be CHHA
Toronto, R. Voces Latinas, which I have heard before? Then I hear
``malecón`` mentioned, an Habanan landmark, but not only there, so is
it really a Cuban? Not // Rebelde 5025, FWIW. Can`t be sure of its own
direxion since hearing it is more dependent on minimizing the IBOC. At
first, I get a null on that at NE/SW, so must be coming from KEPN
Colorado; a few minutes later, I get a null on the IBOC noise at
NW/SE, so now it must be coming from KATZ Missouri. No wonder 1610 is
such a mess here with two 1600 IBOC stations at right angles! Then the
Spanish has faded away. This side of S America, the other possible
1610 SS is XEUACH, but it signs off much earlier, right? (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1650, Sept 11 at 0536 UT, I am getting Spanish preacher
about Apocalipsis in null of KCNZ Iowa (STILL no sign of KYHN OK as
allegedly reactivated), no doubt KBJD Denver, Radio Luz. When I turn
back toward KCNZ I also hear a different Spanish station underneath
with music.

Is XEARZ/XEAZR (opinions differ) in Mexico City on the air now? It had
been making only sporadic appearances earlier this year.

Or am I finally hearing 850-watt KSVE El Paso TX? That fits for the
format and nulling as I don`t hear it at all when KBJD is clear in
KCNZ null. A search of IRCA DX Monitors back to 2004y shows NO logs of
KSVE whatsoever tho it appeared several times on lists of ballgame
affiliates. Is it really on the air?? Someone closer, please check.

However, FCC AM Query shows the KSVE call on 1650 only started on
09/23/2008; it was KHRO from 02/25/2005 and KBIV from 09/04/1998. The
KSVE facility may have been on some other frequency before 9/23/08

1650, re previous report whether the Spanish I heard could be ZER
Radio in Mexico City, instead of KSVE El Paso TX, Julián Santiago Díez
de Bonilla, DF, answers my query Sept 10: ``it has been on the air
more regularly 24 hours with instrumental music, IDs, and an
occasional commentary. Transmits from Mexico City with 5000 watts``.
AFAIK, there have never been any definite reports north of the border
of either station (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)