Re: [IRCA] Recent DXpedition to Grayland, WA & Florence, OR

Re: [IRCA] Recent DXpedition to Grayland, WA & Florence, OR

That's almost what I blurted out in my original email -- what Gary
[and others' research to understand it] may have stumbled upon is
the true nature of 'sea gain' or 'coastal effect' and that it falls
off REALLY rapidly away from the coast whether you're at sea level
or elevated.

A few years ago I was in Naples, FL. The rental car had a decent radio. I parked at a lot right at the beach, maybe a hundred or so feet from the Gulf of Mexico. Cuban stations blasted in. As I drove away, they faded down within a couple of blocks, and came back up when I drove near the water again. Literally a couple of blocks away made a significant reception difference.

I'd like to hear if anyone else has a similar find. I'd also like to find if anyone has done DXing from a small boat near the coast. I'd love to tag along on a commercial fishing boat around here that can go out a few hundred miles.

Another thing that is similar... I had a client in Providence, RI a decade ago at the upper end of Narragansett Bay. The salt water had a straight line to Puerto Rico. I heard WPRA-990 sign off with a decent signal a couple of times. Never heard it anywhere else.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI