[IRCA] Recent DXpedition to Grayland, WA & Florence, OR

[IRCA] Recent DXpedition to Grayland, WA & Florence, OR

>From July 31 - August 2 I visited Grayland, WA and Florence,
OR.  At each location I set up a Perseus and a an 'extended
DKAZ' antenna pointing at 235 deg -- towards Hawaii and the
south Pacific [Aus/NZ].  The best day, of course, was the
last day and I have put sound samples from 1300 utc up
through 1280 kHz from both Grayland and Florence on a
webpage for comparison:

<http://realmonitor.com/am_logs_grayland6.php>

I'll be adding more as time permits.

The Grayland location was the famous Grayland Motel and
Cottages and the location near Florence was a place called
Sans Suci at about 800ft. elevation and back about 1000ft.
from the Pacific.  There are Google Map links to both sites
on the webpage above.

Also on the webpage are links to stats [stations logged,
countries logged, stations/country, etc.], a Google Map view
of the loggings and something I call AzBar which is a bar
graph of the number of loggings at given azimuth ranges -- a
good way to visualize how an antenna works.

There is also a link to a pdf drawing of the extended DKAZ
antenna, designed by Neil Kazaross.  It is the best
single-element, non-phased antenna I have ever used.  It's
pretty easy to errect and without phasing doesn't give me
the opportunity to screw things up!  What it does require
though is some tweaking of the termination resistance - Rt.

I know there's been a lot of interest recently in cliffside
DXing.  Perhaps some of the data in this report will let you
compare simultaneous loggings from two locations at very
different elevations. Unfortunately, the locations were also
about 6 hours drive from one another so I make no claims on
the issue based on these loggings but I won't be foresaking
the Grayland Motel anytime soon!