[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, May 24-June 28, 2012

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, May 24-June 28, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many other individuals and publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST: http://www.worldofradio.com/dxldmid.html

** MEXICO. I asked Julián Santiago Díez de Bonilla, DF, about the new
x-bander on 1650 in the DF, is it still operating? Apparently never
has made it to the USA. He replied June 4:

``XEARZ 1650 was on the air for three days from May 1 and then went
off the air. It has not been possible to obtain any info about this``
(gh`s translation for WORLD OF RADIO 1620, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1580, KOKB Blackwell was in dead air or open carrier
again for an extended period around 0030 UT June 14, while sister
station 1020, KOKP Perry was nominal with sports talk (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1420, monitoring again May 26 at 1144, following strange
unID May 24 sounding like KCKM/KCKN, again a country music station
looping WSW/ENE, but heavy QRM with sunrise skip still vigent. 1200,
heard ``Neosho, AM 1420``, not necessarily the same station, but now
ergo KBTN Neosho MO, 1000/500 watts, and NRC AM Log shows C&W there
too. Neosho is in the SW corner, close enough to have a slight skip
advantage (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) see unID below

** U S A. 1440, May 26 at 0502-0515 UT, tried for the off-season DX
test from WFNY in Gloversville NY, which included Morse code, but
nothing audible amid the graveyard-like signal pileup. It was
confirmed on the air and widely reported further east past 0600 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510+, June 18 at 0445 UT, slightly wavering het from off-
frequency station with sports talk, phone 1-800-777-2951, looping
NE/SW. This points to usual culprit, KCTE Independence MO, which is
both a daytimer and a perpetual off-channel broadcaster. That phone
number doesn`t google to anything significant, tho (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Re: ``1140, April 28 at 0553 UT, gospel huxter in
Spanish, good signal from N/S, surely XEMR 50/50 kW, Monterrey NL?
Others have reported this as ``MR Deportes`` as listed in WRTH, IRCA
and Cantú i.e. a sports format, but whenever I hear it, there`s
religion. Maybe both, like KFXY 1640 Enid? The station website via
http://www.gruporadioalegria.com/
mentions nothing but sports, and no program schedule.

Could I really be getting a US station? I always thought it was XEMR.
Prime suspect in the NRC AM Log is KHFX, Cleburne TX near The
Metroplex, but with a Houston address, 24 hour Spanish religion as
``Radio Ato``, 5000/710 watts. Pattern book shows its main lobe is to
the NW, which would audiblize it here, while XEMR`s is a circle
tangent to Monterrey, ``everything`` going to its SW (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)``

Glenn, KHFX switched to English talk as "Republic Broadcasting
Network" right after the 32nd LOG was printed. Last monitored here
with that format in 2/2012 (Wayne Heinen, NRC AM Log editor, May 24,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Hmmmm, so it`s back to XEMR as suspect, and not on its DA night
pattern. I should keep trying for an ID. Or maybe daytimer KLTK in
Arkansas, which is Spanish I have heard around sunrise (gh, DXLD)

UNIDENTIFIED. Re: previous report of ``KCKN Classic Country`` (?)
heard on 1420: Could it be CP on 1420 in Rowe NM near Pecos?

1420: Very Doubtful on Rowe. No call sign has been issued. All for now
73 (Wayne Heinen, CO, May 24, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Glenn: -- "KMOG 1420am [AZ] is Rim Country Radio", per Google; heard
L.A. & PHX with that format many times. Your DA is right for this one; but the ID obviously matches 1430 to a T. Could a malevolent elbow-bump have led to some warped combination of the two?? Just pryin' -- 73z -- G H (Greg Hardison, CA, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Greg, Tnx for the idea, but I am pretty certain of the call heard
being KCKM or KCKN. I also made sure of the frequency on the DX-398
display. Hard to hit that with my elbow, hi. I guess you took KCKM to
be on 1430, but it`s on 1330. 73, (Glenn to Greg, ibid.) See USA: 1420

UNIDENTIFIED. 1430, June 18 at 0444 UT, ululating Balkan or ME music
slightly dominant over the jumble, seems NE/SW. Normal suspect would
be KZQZ St Louis, but would not expect such programming from ``Hot
Talk/Cool Oldies``, tho it could be a Sunday night breakaway from
format; lots of stuff on their website
http://kzqz1430am.com/index.php
not including a simple program schedule. Insane! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1540, May 26 at 0516 UT, open carrier over the CCI.
Suspect KXEL in IA or one of the Texans (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1550, June 2 at 1115 UT local sunrise, open carrier
WSW/ENE --- likely KLFJ Springfield MO, the glorified TIS for Branson
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)