[IRCA] FS: Drake R8B receiver (cheap!)

I will sell this Drake R8B general coverage receiver for $330 shipped to USA addresses (lower 48). S/N 9F12940039. Other locations pay additional for postage but are welcome to reply. Reply off-list to me, ratzlaffsteve@xxxxxxxxxx I will take requests to purchase this, and won't just take the first person to respond. I reserve the right to choose who to sell it to. It would help if you mentioned why you'd like to buy it. Being an AM DXer would be a big plus, of course. I figure it will cost about $30 for shipping. So other places than USA-lower 48, shipping will be the extra cost from my $30 estimate, added to $330. Paypal preferred; cash, check, money order accepted, please state your preference. Checks will hold until cleared. Now the rest of the story. An outfit in Israel has been dumping R8B's on eBay the past year; almost all have various problems including physical damage. I picked one that said it had tuning problems, figuring I'd have fun repairing it. (Shipping was an additional $100 to USA.) When I received it, I really couldn't find any problem with the tuning. The front panel had some scrapes that were mostly covered up simply with a Magic Marker over them. All functions, modes, everything, worked. Sensitivity was about equal with my Icom R75. I did eventually find one electrical problem and that was relatively minor--I never tried to fix that. That problem is when you tune to 14 MHz the display comes up with all 7's. (7777777 when in minimum tuning step mode). And this problem occurs from 13,999.01 to 14,000.99, about +/- 1 kHz. But when you turn the dial the display instantly returns to the correct reading; only when you stop turning, in about 2 seconds does it go back to the 7's. So it's not a show-stopper, and only affects the display near that one particular frequency, nowhere else that I could find. The radio operation isn't affected at all. The four bottom official Drake feet are also missing. I can put on non-Drake stick-on rubber feet, or leave them off, your choice. (The feet were probably removed on purpose to place the radio in a rack.) You won't find a Drake R8B for $300 plus shipping anywhere else, if you aren't looking for a "perfect" R8B. You won't even find the early Drake R8 for $300. Money-back guarantee if you return it within 14 days (less $30 for my estimated shipping cost). (Other locations, that will be actual shipping cost I paid to send it to you.) No paper manual is included. You will need the manual to run this radio, especially if you've never used a Drake R8 series radio before! I can email you a .pdf copy of the manual (680 kb file size). I will probably wait a couple of days to see how many requests come in before deciding; of course if I only get one request that person automatically gets the chance to purchase the radio.

Steve Ratzlaff
NE Oregon