From: richarda <richarda@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: irca <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Apr 29, 2012 11:17 pm
Subject: [IRCA] Correction to ULR #1000

While I did indeed hear station #1000
when I said, it was XETC and not XEPNK
as originally stated.

4/27/12
1100 UTC  880 kHz XETC, Torreon,
Coahuila, Mexico (10 kW @ 1327 km
/ 825 mi).

There were several things not making
sense to me about my original identification.
The first was why was a station in Sinaloa
playing the national anthem at that hour?
The second, was the station announcement,
"Ocho Ochenta A M".  Then, the lyrics to
the state anthem didn't sound right for that
of the similar sounding Sinaloan tune.  So
after "mucho" replaying of the reception's
recording I was able to correctly identified
the station.

Most stations in the Central time zone of
México broadcast "el himno nacional" at
1100 UTC between April 1 and October 28,
2012. Sinaloa is in the Mountain time zone
where most stations broadcast the anthem
around 1200 UTC.

The state anthem heard clearly began with
the lyrics "Hoy rendimos un tributo a Coahuila".
The Sinaloa anthem starts with "Somos tierra
y cuna de ejemplares héroes, que han dada
la vivo en por Sinaloa".  The state anthems
can be an useful tool in identifying Mexican
station.  Probably the easiest is that of the
state of Veracruz in which "Veracruz" is clearly
repeated several times.

The identification wasn't made any easier
because of QRM from XEV, Chihuahua CH
MEX. Since XEV is a "Grupo Fórmula" network
station it sometimes broadcasts the ID of XERFR.
XERFR is the network's flagship station in
México City on 970 kHz.

I again heard XETC on 4/29/11. They were
broadcasting a jazz tune with English lyrics.
At 1130 UTC there was an ID by a woman,
"Kiuu, (raya estatica), Ocho Ochenta A M",
with "Ocho Ochenta A M" repeated by a man.
The signal finally fade away under XEV at 1135.

 Buena DX.

 Richard.

 Richard Allen
 36°22'51"N / 97°26'35"W