To: "James Pogue" <KH2AR@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2012 10:20 AM
Subject: [IRCA] QRN problem - any ideas?

Dear friends and list members,

I am having a terrible time here with interference that is ruining my
listening/hamming experience and am hoping someone can offer some practical
suggestions. Here's the situation.

The interference - basically a continuous raspy sound - seems to come up at
about 0830 local time here each day. It is often (but not always) quiet
before then. The problem usually persists until late at night, i.e. 2300
local or later. The AM broadcast band seems to be affected the least, 80
meters suffers a little, but every other band from 40 through 10 meters is
affected at different levels. I have tried some rudimentary methods to try
and isolate it but without success. I'm not even sure if it is atmospheric
(i.e., coming through my antenna) or through the AC line (mains). My antenna
is a G5RV Jr. in an inverted "V" configuration.

I am in an older house, 2-story in a residential neighborhood of Memphis, on essentially a zero line lot. I can supply the exact address if anyone wants
to see the house on Google maps street views. There are renters upstairs.

I have limited equipment available for isolating the problem, and even less technical knowledge. I'd really appreciate any suggestions for solving this
problem that now produces QRN at an S-9 level. I haven't called the local
power company yet, but don't hold out much hope for help from them. Thanks
very much.

Jim Pogue - KH2AR/W4

Memphis, TN USA