Re: [IRCA] FW: 1000th station heard on ULR

Re: [IRCA] FW: 1000th station heard on ULR

Congratulations on #1000, Richard!  How many of those were barefoot? :)

On a good day, I might be able to hear about 100 stations or so around midday from here on ultralights with a good enough antenna, but I have a LLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG way to go to #1,000!  (Rob, there isn't by any chance a reward for hearing a lot of daytime stations or something, is there? ;) )

I too have heard 1566-HLAZ here, once (if not twice).  Having 50kW 1580-KMIK's IBOC blasting right at me from 300 miles east (and being in their main 6-tower nighttime lobe) did NOT make it easy. :)  An even tougher one was 594-JOAK, dug out from between local 5kW 600-KOGO (7.3 mi west) and its IBOC (which is turned off now fortunately).  My first ever Japanese logging was 774-JOUB (you mentioned 747 - did you mean 774, or did you mean the station on 747, whose callsign escapes me?)  These were all heard with the Select-A-Tenna-aided PL-380 or PL-606.  I've heard others from across the puddle, but won't mention them here.

I'd say one of my most exciting moments thus far was the aforementioned reception of JOAK.  I do have a few domestic loggings that could maybe compete, though - hearing 1230 XEEX's TOH ID nearly alone on channel @ 795 mi around 4am about 10 seconds after turning my SRF-59 on (and having bumped the tuning dial somehow cause 1230 wasn't the frequency it was on when I turned it off), hearing Albuquerque's then-Disney outlet KALY on 1240 under my local then-KSON's open carrier (the two are opposite directions from me, and KSON, now KNSN, is strong enough to pretty much blanket the frequency at night unless I 90-degree null them), and hearing 700-KALL at 626 miles NNE at midday over an all-land path even though 77kW 690-XEWW is just 32 miles SSW of me, just to name a few.
Something that might beat it, I'm thinking, might be hearing stations from Australia, Asia, Alaska, south America and Europe all fighting each other on 1170 kHz in the middle of the night, each strong enough to completely block reception of my local 1170-KCBQ at 9.3 miles (bonus points if KCBQ's running their 50kW daytime rig at the time - they're supposed to be 2.9 kW at night and I don't remember ever catching them cheating).  Even better would be pick any frequency, have the fighting international stations completely blanking my reception of local 760-KFMB (nighttime 50kW at 7.3 miles NW).  Something like that would probably make my year. :)  Another thing that could might be, on a trip to the beach with a ULR and a big antenna, hearing midday groundwave reception of a TP or DU in the LW band or lower part of the MW band.  (With an all-saltwater path, I almost wonder if that might be possible under the right circumstances?)

BTW my original intent on the ULR quest was actually to find something pocketable / beltclippable with better selectivity and sensitivity compared to what I had been using.  (It was a Panasonic RQ-SW20 which I still have - it's similar in selectivity to the stock SRF-M37W and several dB less sensitive.)  There were stations I wanted to listen to (and still are) that were undetectable either due to being buried in the noise, or buried under near-FM-channel-plus-IBOC-width splatter originating on the first adjacents, for example.  I'm still looking for "the one", and along the way learning some things.  (Apparently what I also need is good stop band rejection, for example.)  I'll save further discussion on that point for another future post sometime.

73 and good luck on your quest for #10,000  ;)
Stephen Airy