Re: [IRCA] pending radio setup in Newfoundland

Re: [IRCA] pending radio setup in Newfoundland

RE:

On 3/31/2012 8:57 PM, Stephen Airy wrote:
> Allen....
>
> I'm curious to know what midday/groundwave catches you might have across the pond with that setup grounded in the saltwater? :)  I've heard of 5kW 560 Miami (when their transmitter was in Biscaine (sp?) Bay) being heard on a barefoot Sony ICF-6500W at Signal Hill, NFLD.  With some Europeans being in the hundreds of kW or even a megawatt or more, I wonder if you'd hear any on groundwave there with a good setup, especially longwave stations?  (I haven't heard any here, but I've got a major urban area between me and the Pacific, which also is much larger than the Atlantic, especially heading west or southwest from here.)

Hi Stephen,

Yes it will be interesting what will be heard once we have our setup up and running especially with the Kenwood R5000.

As Chuck mentioned there are some stations that are audible at times daytime here from across the Atlantic. I recall Norway on 1314 was a good bet to hear in the winter months. Just this past winter a few days when the darkness came earlier I had Saudi Arabia, England, France and Albania all somewhat audible around 12 noon even on one of my Ultralight units.

I'm sure that beacons would be audible this way also.

Good DX

Allen Willie
Bristol's Hope, Newfoundland