[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, January 11-21, 2012

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, January 11-21, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many other individuals and publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST: http://www.worldofradio.com/dxldmid.html

** CANADA. 1610, Jan 20 at 0643 UT I`m hearing Spanish, hoping for something Latin American, but loops toward Toronto, and peaks nicely vs KATZ IBOC noise at 0645 with ``CHHA`` singing ID, ``Voces Latinas, ahora con más alcance``, which certainly seems true as this Toronto station is better audible here. Helps to use LSB vs the IBOC which peaks around 1613 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 830, Jan 11 at 1357 UT, conversation mentions Radio Zócalo, San Antonio, head-coach, overcoming WCCO. Must be 5 kW XEIK, Piedras Negras, Coahuila, where there are close commercial and cultural ties to the nearest big US city. 1358, ID as R. Zócalo on Súper Estelar 107.9, local ads for Piedras Negras, ``ciudad con futuro``. Cantú confirms the Súper Estelar on 107.9 is XHPC in Piedras Negras (Black Rocks).

860, Jan 11 at 1403 UT, ``primera edición de Noticias 8-60``, mentions Ciudad Juárez. Feared it would just be a generic news program name, not pinnable, but Cantú shows that`s the name of the entire station in CiJz, if reversed: 860, XEZOL, 860 Noticias, Cd. Juárez, Chih., 1,000 500. Just about losing out to K`KOW by now, moo (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 780, Wed Jan 11 at 1420 UT, KSPI (plus spurs 776 and 784) instead of stupid sports talk is broadcasting Stillwater City Commission/Council meeting, live? At 8:20 am?? Currently discussing regulations about parking at boarding houses, fascinating stuff (not). Refers to visuals, so hopefully also on local cable TV; speakers not identified either by any commentator, but they managed to be on-mike, unlike Enid`s version as cablecast by Pegasys (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 760, Jan 13 as I tune across at 1346 UT, full ID for KMTL in Arkansas, ad for Golden Corral in N Little Rock, gospel music. Made fast SAH of 15-20 Hz with nullable preaching KCCV Kansas City area, about 90 degrees away. KMTL COL is Sherwood AR, a NE LR suburb, 10 kW daytimer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 830, Jan 11 at 1427 UT, country gospel music, ID as Family Life Radio, in null of what`s left of WCCO or XEIK. Therefore it`s KFLT Tucson AZ, 50 kW day power already, tho official local sunrise in January is not until 1430 and there is no info about any PSRA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Others have noted IBOC noise missing from WHO and KFAB the last few days, and so do I, Jan 19 at 1340 UT. That opens up some adjacent frequencies for better reception, 1030, 1050, 1100, 1120. But still IBOC from 1170 KFAQ, 1160 KSL, 1120 KMOX, 1080 KRLD, 850 KOA. 1200 WOAI also seemed to be IBOC-free at the moment, where it comes and goes (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1110, Jan 20 at 0649 UT, `Coast to Coast` from KFAB Omaha NE which has resumed putting IBOC noise on adjacent frequencies; however, WHO 1040 still IBOC-free (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1490, UT Sat Jan 21 at 0700 I am all set for the KRSN Los Álamos NM DX test, monitoring both on the FRG-7 with E-W longwire, and on the handheld but AC-powered DX-398 with internal ferrite loop only. I hear it first and best on the DX-398 so stick with that: immediately hear some unreadable Morse code on 1490; 0701 sweep tones; 0701 VVV CQ KRSN in fast Morse; then I shift the DX-398 to 1498-LSB and hear the code better. 0703 again hear the slower code on center frequency, then sweeps. 0704 some other station briefly fades up during network news in English. 0705 code again I think. 0706 sweeps easily heard at 1488- or 1487-LSB settings (less QRM from 1480 than 1500, so stuck with lower side), and VVV KRSN IDs again. 0707 slow code on center. 0708 sweeps heard on center, and finally one more time on 1487-LSB, code IDs with KRSN sent multiple times. Said to be 20 wpm; I couldn`t normally copy `CW` cold that fast, but I knew what letters to
expect, and clearly made them out. There was more to the message I could not copy, maybe the city. Never could hear any voice from Paul Walker on this test. Certainly proves that the code and sweep technique is a winner for cutting thru hundreds of stations QRMing on graveyard channels! I am 759 km = 471 miles away. Thanks to Mike Westfall for arranging this test on his local station, which recently upgraded its facilities. It is to recur UT Sunday Jan 22 also at 0700-0710 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)