[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, December 27, 2011-January 3, 2012

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, December 27, 2011-January 3, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

** MEXICO. 710, Jan 3 at 1346 UT, gobierno federal PSA with whistling, but didn`t catch from which department; `Noticiero 7-10`, timecheck before 7 am local = MST, negative-C temp, mentioning several Chihuahua cities, so it`s the usual dominator XEDP in Cuauhtémoc, supposedly 7 kW, and occupying the frequency instead of much closer 10 kW KGNC Amarillo, which makes it here on daytime groundwave some 400 km away. A bandscan found little else from Mexico at this hour except XEG-1050 and XERF-1570 --- not even XETNT-650, still occupied by WSM. Today`s Enid LSR is 1343 UT, almost to our yearly latest of 1344 in a few days, when the Sun is closest (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1050, Dec 28 at 1401 UT, choral NA is in progress, but of course it fades out before ID/sign-on. Loops E/W, and surely from the PST zone where it is 6 am, i.e. XED in Mexicali BCN a kilomile away (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1540, Dec 31 from 0657 to 0715 UT, tried to hear the WKVQ Eatonton GA DX test, which was scheduled with only two days notice, but never heard any Xmas music, CW IDs or sweep tones, just this:

1540, Dec 31 at 0702 UT, after Mexican music, ID in English ``This is KEDA, San Antonio, Texas, your Jalapeño radio station``. It was dominant even on my E-W longwire also suitable for the high end of MW on the FRG-7; also tried to null it on the DX-398 but not much success, only bringing up some weaker talk station, presumably KXEL. 0710 another ID for `Jalapeño Radio` mixing Spanish and English. No sign of the other Texans, closer KZMP, or KGBC with CRI, which must have lesser signals at night than KEDA`s 1 kW. BTW, those calls mean in Spanish ``stay`` as in ``with us`` = queda. I guess they don`t consider `Jalapeño Radio` to be an politically incorrect stereotype.

As for the WKVQ test, no power was stated in the publicity but they have a 10 kW non-direxional daytime authorization, which should have been employed for this post-midnite test. Yet initial reports I have seen indicate spotty reception even in the East with several 50 kW stations to contend with, but did make it as far as Manassas, Kansas City and Omaha (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) + Sweden, Albany itself

** U S A. 1550, Jan 3 at 1324 UT as I tune in, a dominant signal as ``News New Mexico on KIVA AM 1550``; trouble is, there wasn`t any news during the following dekaminute as the signal faded in and out vs multiple SAHs from countless QRMers. 1330 promo for Dennis Miller at 1-4 pm on ``KIVA 1550, The Truth``; various ads; 1334 promo for Dr Joy Browne; finally back to a live show at 1335, two guys with local talk, still not news; 1337 lamenting long construxion period disrupting traffic on the main drag in Santa Fe, Cerillos Road.

KIVA is a 10 kW non-direxional daytimer (plus 27 watts at nite), address at 1213 San Pedro NE in Albuquerque. `News New Mexico` is their weekday 6-9 am show ``Hosted by Jim Spence and Michael Swickard`` per their blog, http://1550kiva.blogspot.com/ which is titled The ``Truth``, the quotation marx tacitly admitting that their truth = far-right wingnut opinion, not only Dennis Miller but Michael Savage, Alex Jones.

FCC info at
http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=4705
shows January sunrise in ABQ is not until 1415 UT, so is this 27 watts? Hardly! However, per
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=3811
KIVA does have a PSRA starting at 13 UT of: 89 watts! Is this 89 watts? Hardly!

When 1550 was starting up with Program Test Authority, FCC also sent them a letter dated June 25, 2009
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=12836
warning KIVA of intermodulation products on 450, 550, 2100, 2150, 2550, 4100 kHz which had not been demonstrated to be suppressed by at least 80 dB.

Call sign history
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/call_hist.pl?Facility_id=4705&Callsign=KIVA
shows KIVA since 5/18/09, and this facility had *eight* previous calls dating back past 1994y --- but most of them were not on 1550, I know, since this frequency appeared only a few years ago when the ABQ MW band was reconfigured.

I also know that the calls KIVA have applied to numerous other stations over the years mostly in New Mexico, but also in Yuma AZ. For the uninitiated, they`re desirable because of a SW reference to kivas, the circular religious ceremony pits of the Pueblo Indians and Hopi, which have long since been adopted by the Anglos. For instance, there is a general-purpose sunken class/meeting building at UNM called The Kiva.

NRC AM Log 2011-2012 says KIVA programming is also on KQNM 1100, which is a 250/20 watt station in Milan NM (near Grants, W of ABQ), but I don`t see anything about that on the KIVA blog (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)