[IRCA] PL-606 odd behavior in Lakeside, CA recently

[IRCA] PL-606 odd behavior in Lakeside, CA recently

Hi all,

I was in Lakeside, CA, yesterday, and recorded a video clip of what happens when I try to receive 1160-KSL at around local sunset using my PL-606.  I did mention a few things in the video's description...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eQql8niXLE

Is there some internal modification I could try so that I have the same quality of reception as from 0:53 to about 1:00 or so as at other times (while realizing the variability of skywave)?  It'd be a bonus if reception would also be like that a couple miles to the northwest or so. ;)

Also a month ago I recorded these two videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEMLcEqCu3E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEIU3mP5f38

Anyone have any idea what's going on, specifically, especially when I put my radio & SAT up to the utility pole?  ("Overload" isn't descriptive enough - is it front-end, detector, audio rectifying signal bypassing RF/IF stages, etc - what (technically?) is happening?)

Thanks for any education that can be sent my way. :)

73,
Stephen