Re: [IRCA] Possible PL-606 LW reception on barbed wire fence?

Re: [IRCA] Possible PL-606 LW reception on barbed wire fence?

Stephen:

I'll give those MP3s a listen later, busy day and I haven't had enough coffee yet.

I would think the barbed wire fence would be a very poor antenna since it's grounded every few feet through the fence posts.

I have experimented with electric fences (make sure they're off!) with mixed results. I think the poorer than expected reception on a 1200' run of electric fence was because it ran along a barbed wire fence that was sucking the RF out of it. There were no weeds since it had been on shortly before I used it. I removed the end on the fencer and hooked a DX-160 to the fence and ground rod and unhooked the far end at a gate. Got about the same results as a 50' wire in the air. Little or no directionality. It was a quieter antenna than one in the air but no real advantage. A Balun and/or end termination may have helped. We wound up running a longwire between his barn/shack and an old windmill tower that worked much better. Besides, my friend was worried his dairy cows would figure out the fence was off.

High RF levels and rusty/corroded wire/fences can do odd things. Last winter when it was about -10F I could hear Neil Boortz ranting about something on my chain link fence in the back yard. KSOO 1140 and KELO 1320 both pump 5KW directional with KXRB 1000 running 100W directional all straight at me at night. Strong signals on 570, 800, 1050, 1230 and 1270 all get in the mix too. Barefoot the DX-440 and DX-399 are both pretty useless on LW because of the intermods but both seem to do fairly well on MW.

When you figure out what a barbed wire fence would be classified as for an antenna let me know. I haven't sent reception reports for the chain link receiver or hearing AM C2C (1320) on an antique Sunbeam Toaster. The toaster is quiet after I cleaned the crumbs out :(

Tim Hills
Sioux Falls, SD
DX-400, DX-399
Remote active loop