Re: [IRCA] Local Radio Is Getting Tuned Out.

Re: [IRCA] Local Radio Is Getting Tuned Out.

Stephen

Thanks for posting this!  While we all lament the continuing decine of
local radio, the article really begs the question of whether it really
matters.
More and more folks listen to national shows; and when a local affiliate
drops a national show such as Hannity or Rush for a local talk show, there
are complaints.
We get our local news, weather, scores, obits, closings more and more
online through local websites, sites of local broadcast companies, and
sites of local papers and pseudopapers created for the net.
Local ma and pa businesses, long which have been the boon for local radio,
are being replaced by chains because, let's face it, a Best Buy or HHGregs
can sell appliances and electronics for less than Ma and pa; and that's,
unless you need the service locals provide, few care.
So, as the stations seek national advertising, the programming must go in
that direction.
The problem becomes where does the next generation of hosts emerge from?
These may too come from non-traditional sources such as the internet.
Sure, local radio is dying; but, thanks to the internet, phone apps and
other electronic innovations, I doubt listeners, other than for nostalgia,
will care all that much as they grow comfortable with the changing
choices.
And, for efficiency, the new choices are better and giving me greater
information and entertainment as well as open things, such as ondemand
programs and podcasts, which were mere fantasy a couple of decades back.

Bible study has torn my life apart and remade it. That is to say that God,
through his Word, has done so.
--  Derek Tidball, author  of "The Message of Holiness: Restoring God's
Masterpiece"