[IRCA] 1700KHz results from 10-14

I've been tweaking one of my active ferrite designs and so far it works quite well at the upper end of the MWBC band, esp. the X-band. After some investigation I realized that I slipped a decimal place and the preamp is optimized for 1.5 to 18 MHz rather than the planned 150 to 1800KHz. Blame it on my gray hair I guess....

KVNS 4:01 GMT "Green Eyed Lady" playing and ID at 4:02, "Classic Hits KVNS" with a reference to 105.5 FM then into "Everlasting Love". Very readable with some fading and interference from KKLF

KBGG 4:05 GMT ID at 4:06 "The Champ" and "Iowa Sports Connection program" Coming in almost like a local.

UNID 4:09 GMT OM in Spanish, "futball" mentioned several times. My Spanish is very poor but the antenna bearing, language and sports format all point to XEPE. Heavy fading but would have been readable if I knew Spanish.

KKLF 4:50 GMT AM Coast to Coast with ID at 4:56. Station ID was "KLIF Talk 570" which is what KKLF simulcasts. Credit card debt commercial then into Nx. Some fading and interference from KVNS but good signal strength.

From my QTH KVNS and KKLF are only 3* apart yet I was able to peak one or the other with KBGG in the fringe of the null.

The reception pattern on this antenna is almost like a mufti-element beam without the reflector with a strong peak on one end and a weaker one( -3 to 6 dB) at 180*. The nulls are very wide, from about 45* to 135* off the main peak on each side with a fairly steep falloff after about 10* from the peak.

Without a preamp the output of the antenna is very low and part of it's directional characteristics are in the preamp circuit so it does require a receiver with an external antenna input. Low noise MOSFETS developed for the cellphone industry make my life much easier :D

The antenna was indoors about 6'AG and the receiver was a DX-440.

Got the soldering iron heating up to correct my bout of cerebral flatulence. I hope to see what I can do with 540 tonight.

Tim Hills
Sioux Falls, SD