[IRCA] TP DX at Grayland - October 8 & 9

[IRCA] TP DX at Grayland - October 8 & 9

Chuck, Tom, and I spent this past weekend at the Northwest's favorite DX spot. Conditions both mornings were about what we would expect for this point in the sunspot cycle. which The DX was plentiful, but much of it was weaker than in the recent past. This was my first DXpedition done solely with an SDR, and the first where I could record the entire broadcast band. Needless to say, we'll be listening to our files for a while, but here are a few highlights taken from memory and my handwritten notes.

Saturday - conditions were reasonably OK by 1200 UT, and got a little bit better after that. However, there was no sunrise enhancement to speak of. Taiwan 1161 was in unusually well, as was the S Korean jammer on 1080. The Russian on 675 was new for me. I think I also had an ID from China Huayi BC on 783, but it will require further listening to confirm it. Japanese commercial stations were generally subpar, but the high powered NHK stations were in well. There were lots of channels with multiple Chinese time pips at the ToH, but most were pretty weak. I think I may have ID'able material on 1251 and 1476, and maybe a couple of others. Several Alaskans were also noted, including KOAN-1020.

Sunday - conditions were a bit anemic at 1200, but got much more lively by 1400. This time, there was a definite enhancement around sunrise. A few stations with good signals Saturday were subpar on Sunday, including JOAK-594, JOAB-693, Taiwan-1161, and VOA-1575. On the other hand, some stations, such as KBS/Japan-1134 and Yanbian-1206 were much better on Sunday than on Saturday. Go figure. I had what I think is an ID from a Chinese station on 1584, but I can't get it to match anything listed, so that one may require intervention from experts. I also noted CNR1 on 1215, a freq normally used by CNR-7 for the Guangdong area - I'm not sure if CNR1 is a separate site or if it was being relayed by CNR7. The NHK2 outlets signed off at 1440 both days, and I was able to hear local IDs from a few of them.

Aside from an evening carrier on 738, there was no sign of DU activity. Then again, our 1200 foot Beverage was aimed northeast.

Time to get back to the recordings

Bruce