Re: [IRCA] 1550

When you review your tapes, Russ, I would suggest you concentrate  on WZRK.

I have seen a handful of DXers on this and the NRC list suggest that they
might have heard WHIT 1550 last night. This station is a daytimer with an
oldies  format, licensed to Madison WI. As one who lives in Madison and spent
much  of the night parked on 1550, I can state with 100% certainty that they
were  not on the air last night.

WZRK Lake Geneva WI has a night authorization of one watt. I know for  a
fact that previous owners signed off at sunset because they deemed the tiny
power too little to bother with. The present ownership not only stays on all
night, but apparently does so at the full daytime power of 1000 watts (or
at  least a good fraction thereof). As a result, they are frequently
reported over a wide area.

BTW, WZRK's format is not oldies. The station describes the format thusly:

“Radio station Avenue 1550 (WZRK) serves Lake Geneva with Timeless Cool
Music. It’s easy to listen to, but not easy listening. With music from Ray
Charles, Ella Fitzgerald, Steely Dan, Billie Holiday and Van Morrison, it's
the  mix you have been looking for on your radio."
73     Bill  Dvorak     Madison WI

In a message dated 10/1/2011 7:13:59 A.M. Central Daylight Time,