[IRCA] Puyallup Ultralight DU...738-2NR Audio

[IRCA] Puyallup Ultralight DU...738-2NR Audio

Hello All,

This morning must have been an unusually good one for Australian
signals out on the coast, since some extremely rare DU audio was heard
even in this landlocked location (and the first audio ever from an
Australian station here).

It seemed like another mediocre TP morning around 1310 with just a few
seconds of audio from the Asiatic regulars like 594-JOAK and 1566-HLAZ,
but there was a strong 738 kHz heterodyne on the ICF-2010 spotting
receiver around 1320, and it was nulling toward the South Pacific. I
assumed that it was Tahiti (heard rarely here, with occasional audio)
but when tuned in on the PL-380 Ultralight (assisted by a tiny 7" FSL
antenna), the speech was DU English, and I recognized the male and
female voices as the ABC announcers that I frequently hear during
summer beach DXing in Oregon http://www.mediafire.com/?pn0untv6q4sljpj

After checking around for some more DU action I noticed that both 774-3LO and 1116-4BC (presumed) had modest audio here, but both frequencies are extremely noisy with splatter in Puget Sound, and there was no way to record the signals. 657 also had some weak music from the South Pacific direction around 1330 (presumed to be Southern Star from New Zealand), but it faded quickly. The Asiatic TP's were pretty anemic, so it was fun to have some unexpected excitement from the South Pacific this morning. Guy Atkins (on the South Hill part of Puyallup) usually has a lot more South Pacific propagation than I do, and Australia was a new DX country at this mediocre location.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock

Barefoot Tecsun PL-380 + 7 inch "Affordable" FSL model