Re: [IRCA] Oregon Beach Longwave Alaskans

Re: [IRCA] Oregon Beach Longwave Alaskans

<<<    Gary,

  It did not surprise me you had a good opening to AK on Longwave, as
around Midnight PDT I had C&W/Gospel peaking on 850. I was tired and did
not stick around for an ID, but it was the best off the NW EWE, which
probably was KICY. They are pretty regular in the Fall/Winter/Spring.
Weak AC under KKOH too (KNOM).
  Thanks again for the great visit.
73,

Patrick    >>>

Hi Patrick,

Thanks again for your friendly welcome for Danny and me, during our
recent trip to NW Oregon. We all had a great time!

The Longwave propagation to Alaska (and other areas) was fantastic
during the 3-day DXing sessions at the "Rockwork" ocean viewpoint on
Highway 101 in Tillamook County. A total of 17 (!) Alaskan NDB's were
received with the PL-380 Ultralight + FSL antenna combination, almost
all of them using 1 kw or less power. Two Hawaiian NDB's were also
received, and two very long range South Pacific aeronautical beacons
(260-NF on Norfolk Island, 2 kw at over 6,500 miles, and 270-FA in
Samoa, 1 kw at over 5,000 miles) were the most thrilling receptions of
all. In case anyone on the IRCA list would like to hear the Longwave
MP3 recordings from the "Rockwork" DXing sessions, they are pasted below.
Thanks again for the friendly welcome!

73, Gary, Ruth and Danny (back in Puyallup, WA)

209-CYT   Yakataga, AK  Not one of the stronger Alaskan beacons, but
helped by the completely clear frequency. Also received occasionally at
home in Puyallup, this recording was made with the 7.5" LW loopstick
alone http://www.mediafire.com/?q31rnm6o11j64ce

219-GAV   Gustavus, AK  Another Alaskan beacon with modest strength, it
was usually under 218-PR. Occasionally audible at home, it was received
with a marginal boost from the FSL antenna (which starts providing full
gain at 225 kHz) http://www.mediafire.com/?kv9colp2k3paapy

229-AKW   Klawock, AK  Heard only once on the exceptional morning of
8-16, it suffered badly from 227-CG splatter
http://www.mediafire.com/?bdp0e8s3dsfxw5j

233-ALJ   Johnstone Island, AK   Alaskan super-beacon with awesome
strength on the ocean beach, this monster signal pegged the PL-380
Ultralight's S/N reading at 25 for the duration
http://www.mediafire.com/?g00hmng3i75xyza . Occasionally heard at home,
this blowtorch beacon would snarl with 234-Rossii whenever the Russian
was vibrant.

251-OSE   Bethel, AK  One of the weaker Alaskan beacons, it was audible
under 251-YCD with the TWEB weather  broadcasts only on the exceptional
morning of 8-16 http://www.mediafire.com/?b4pqfdcccdrquns

260-NF   Norfolk Island, Australia   Thrilling reception at over 6,500
miles, this South Pacific beacon was received only during the
exceptional morning of 8-15. Pushing aside a weak 260-EU in western
Oregon, the exotic signal was received in fairly bright sunlight after
sunrise on the beach, breaking the Ultralight NDB-DXing distance record
http://www.mediafire.com/?ou7vkcj0guw962a

266-ICK   Annette Island, AK  The second strongest Alaskan beacon both
at home and on the Oregon cliff, it usually was very dominant over
either a weak 266-VR or equally anemic 266-SL
http://www.mediafire.com/?k3pp86bjp84y7yj

270-FA   Apia Upolu, Samoa   The second South Pacific beacon received
on the exceptional morning of 8-15, it had previously been received
with the same radio and antenna one month earlier on the beach at
Lincoln City, Oregon (90 miles to the south). This reception was a
little weaker, probably because the peak South Pacific propagation for
that morning was used to chase the even more distant 260-NF beacon a
few minutes earlier. Over 5,000 miles distant, it also was a great
thrill to receive again http://www.mediafire.com/?mxt8a8cgooa7c1o

277-ACE  Homer, AK   Weakly audible with TWEB weather broadcasts
the morning of 8-15, it wasn't one of the more vibrant Alaskan beacons
http://www.mediafire.com/?wu4fq465xds0g7z

281-CRN   Sparrevohn, AK   One of the weaker Alaskan beacons, it was
occasionally heard under splatter from 279-Radio Rossi, or sometimes
under splatter from fellow Alaskan 283-DUT, as in this recording on the
exceptional morning of 8-16 http://www.mediafire.com/?d4349gzcre4ywqc

283-DUT   Dutch Harbor, AK   Fairly vibrant Alaskan beacon from the
crab-fishing port made famous by the "Deadliest Catch" TV program, this
station could boom in on the Oregon cliff when propagation was
favorable http://www.mediafire.com/?m4q65hrb4iel2bk

332-POA   Pahoa, HI   Usually fighting it out with semi-local pest
332-LBH in Portland, this Hawaiian beacon could gain the upper hand
when Pacific propagation was good, as during the exceptional morning of
8-15 http://www.mediafire.com/?jizi5j99zix8xda

353-LLD   Lanai, HI   This powerful Hawaiian beacon could assume pest
proportions under favorable Pacific conditions . Usually running
roughshod over weak 353-RNT (the exact opposite of my home situation)
http://www.mediafire.com/?9beu7dd991akjua

358-SIT   Sitka, AK  Fighting it out with 359-YQZ and another station
on the exceptional morning of 8-16, this beacon's strength was decent,
but the frequency was awful http://www.mediafire.com/?3ibyp577b6feop7

385-EHM   Cape Newenham, AK  In a real QRM convention with 385-WL,
fellow Alaskan 385-OCC and its TWEB weather broadcasts, this long-range
beacon still had fairly decent signals during the exceptional morning
of 8-16 http://www.mediafire.com/?8m698r8bc9b6om1

385-OCC   Yakutat, AK  This Alaskan beacon was often fairly vibrant with
its TWEB weather broadcasts but occasionally had 385-WL as pretty
stiff competition http://www.mediafire.com/?62o9advxic3dtka

391-EEF   Sisters Island, AK  One of the few Alaskan beacons heard at
home, this station was generally under splatter from 389-YWB or the
394-RWO TWEB weather broadcasts. Occasionally it pushed them aside,
though, as on the exceptional morning of 8-16
http://www.mediafire.com/?xxgpgrnnfa28jfe

394-RWO   Kodiak, AK  Another of the stronger Alaskans heard at home,
this vibrant beacon was accompanied by the TWEB weather broadcasts
at a very strong level as in this local-like signal which maxed out the
PL-380's S/N reading at 25
http://www.mediafire.com/?j045zbyxqhj0oph

525-ICW   Nenana, AK  This was probably the weakest of all the Alaskan
beacons heard at the Oregon cliff, and would have been completely
inaudible if not for its absolutely clear frequency. Received with the
8" MW FSL antenna http://www.mediafire.com/?efn25q6a9cvxccn

530-ADK   Adak, AK  Long-range Alaskan beacon had vibrant signals, but
usually troubled by domestic TIS stations and 531 South Pacific
heterodynes at the Oregon cliff
http://www.mediafire.com/?cbtl9lvnmcqcdlh