Re: [IRCA] How to ID an unmodulated LW carrier?

Re: [IRCA] How to ID an unmodulated LW carrier?

For your loop frame the gray PVC electrical conduit is UV resistant but not as rigid as Sced. 40 but I had an active SW antenna housed in Sced. 40 that was exposed to -35F to over 100F in direct sunlight for 6 or 7 years with no noticeable deterioration.

I use back to back varactors for tuning my loops. The MVAM109 and MV209 varactors can be found on Ebay fairly cheap. using 20 of the MVAM109s gives a capacitance range from 200 to over 4000pF. Some of the surplus varactors are noisy so a bit of testing is required, about 1 in 20 or so fail but make good broadband noise generators so not all is lost.

Some people don't like the varactors but my 30" MW loop has a very sharp null and high enough Q that even with a 10 turn pot tuning can be bit touchy. Driving more than about 10 of them requires an op-amp to correct for increased current. I use a dual bifet op-amp for tuning and gain buffers.

One of these days I'll have to post some schematics. Have to find a proggie to do it with first since my hand drawn stuff may as well be in hieroglyphics to anyone else. Anyone got any suggestions?

Tim Hills
Sioux Falls, SD