Re: [IRCA] Limited time stations (ex:RE: KKXA)

Re: [IRCA] Limited time stations (ex:RE: KKXA)

>>My favorite limited time station was KXL, among those Pete Taylor
mentions, though I didn't listen to it during WSB's off hours ... it was
a listenable station daytimes in Corvallis, 85 miles south of
Portland.<<

John, thanks for the walk down memory lane. KXL with EZ music for years,
Daytime only. I did not remember them as LT though, but I did not
separate the Day only with LT stations. KXL has always been a powerhouse
here on the Northern Oregon Coast.

>> I remember, too, KFVD, which later became KPOP. When I was a kid in
Corvallis, late at night after KDKA signed off, KFVD would begin
broadcasting Spade Cooley's western swing band, live, from the Pier at
Santa Monica. "Devil's Dream" was one of my favorite fiddle tunes. In
the '60s, KPOP's opportunity to broadcast at night occurred only on
Monday mornings, for KDKA was AN-6 ... but oddly enough, KPOP would not
broadcast on the first Mondays in January, April, July or October,
leaving about a three-hour window for ZCO in Tonga to be heard. I QSL'd
ZCO, back when the Pacific and Asia were on 10 khz separation, from
Texas and I heard them in Massachusetts the same night Gordon Nelson got
his one-time shot at that station.<<

ZCO was a regular here after midnight. Also heard in Seward AK in the
mid 60s. I also got the nice QSL card from them, and then A3Z on 1017
years later and they are still fairly regular here.

>>KPPC-1240 did a DX test for the NRC in March of April 1956, and got
QRM'd by one of the three Chicago sharetimers plus XEBN in Cd. Delicias,
which was on the air that night only for a special festival. I QSL'd
both KPPC and XEBN from that DX session.<<

Unfortunately, I never logged KPPC on AM, just their FM on E Skip from
here. I tried for them for years, but by the time I did, 1240 was pretty
crowded.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin