[IRCA] 7-24 Yachats, Oregon DUs

This morning's DU signals from Strawberry Hill at the Oregon coast were more
numerous than yesterday's catches, but like before they were all on the weak
side and mostly unidentified. I wish I could have gotten program details but
the signals were just too low.

Despite the meager DX catches, I felt blessed to be enjoying this beautiful
spot on the Oregon coast, with a brilliant moon in the pre-dawn sky and the
foamy Pacific Ocean waves crashing on the rocks 70 feet below the cliff
side.

As I DXed with Gary's Ferrite Sleeve Loop and two Ultralight radios, I
couldn't help but make mental comparisons between this experience and my
DXpedition trips with my more "serious" receivers (Microtelecom Perseus SDR
and AOR AR7030+). The DXing fun that you can have with both types of gear is
surprisingly similar!

594 Unid. at 1220. Aussie-accented woman and man in discussion in English,
but briefly heard. Only fair to good level. 3WV Horsham, Victoria,
Australia? Logged previously with good signals by Gary DeBock from Lincoln
City, OR last year.

603 Unid. at 1220, weak talk in unknown language.

657 Unid. at 1226, weak music which sounded like pop music. Gone for good at
1230.

891 5AN Adelaide Australia; presumed, with Aussie accented talk at 1235.
Very weak signal.

1107 Unid. at 1242, Aussie or Kiwi accented male announcer; weak in 1110
splatter. Newstalk Taranga, NZ maybe?

1116 Unid. at 1245, woman announcer hosting a talk show (seemed to be about
family relationships). Her accent seemed more Aussie than Kiwi, so I wonder
if this was 4BC Brisbane. The signal was actually at a good level for a part
of a minute, then went down again to mumble-mumble-mumble level.

1566 HLAZ South Korea, presumed at 1250 with woman in Japanese. This weak
signal looped to the NS-SE.

684 Unid. at 1255 with pop music starting out weak, then suddenly much
stronger for a brief period a minute later. Unfortunately I couldn't get any
clues to this station's identity based on the music style or artist. After
dropping down to near-threshold level again it was pulsing in and out of
audibility, up through the top of the hour.

738 RFO Tahiti at 1205-1300+, heard at fair to good level much of the time
with French talk, piano music, and a promo or advertisement with a child's
voice in French. An unidentified co-channel station was occasionally heard
in the background.

567 Unid. station at 1306; Kiwi accented (most likely) male announcer noted
in English; faint signal. Probably this was RNZ National, Wellington, New
Zealand at 50kw.

Guy Atkins
DXing at Strawberry Hill view point
South of Yachats, Oregon
6.5" FSL antenna; Tecsun PL-380; digital readout Sony SRF-59