[IRCA] Weekend at the West Coast

Weekend at Point no Point cabins.

Equipment: ICOM 703+ and Wellbrook ALA100M
Receive only configuration -- no transmitting antennas.
Plus an ALINCO 30-amp switching power supply.

Discovered something new - I actually generate my own RFI!
the Alinco generated lots of hash in the 3 to 9 Mhz range
and the secret to not letting it get away with creating
havoc... keep it is far away from the receiving element as possible.
In my case, I used a 4M loop with ALA100M -- fabulous performance
from 100Khz to 30Mhz

I did not have the best cabin for low-noise (have booked that one for 3 days
this coming Canada thanksgiving...)

Did prove once again that the 703+ is a great all-band receiver
with plenty of sensitivity, selectivity and DSP to pull out some
great audio.

Downside: Slept in both mornings - very early local S.R.
and missed any potential TP's.

Colin Newell is the editor and creator of Coffeecrew.com, DXer.ca and BobHarris.com Amateur Radio VA7WWV - Victoria B.C. Canada | Twitter.com/coffeecrew