Re: [IRCA] KWMT 540 coverage

So KWMT can reach into northern Oklahoma during the daytime, but probably not
much further beyond that, even if KDFT wasn't on the air.  Interestingly enough,
when I was in Branson back in November, I tried on a car radio to get KWMT in a
daytime bandscan, and all that 540 was turned out to be a very faint (so much so
that I couldn't get any clear audio) battle between two stations, one of which
was undoubtedly KWMT, and the other, going by where I was at the time, was
probably WDXN in Clarksville, TN.

In 1961, '62, and '63, the NRC had its conventions in Amarillo, Indianapolis,
and Denver, respectively.  I've heard it told that daytime bandscans were done
in those locations, and that KWMT was the dominant station on 540 at all three.
Nowadays, I know that wouldn't be the case.  In Indy, it would be under WAUK; in
Amarillo, probably inaudible even if KDFT wasn't a factor; and in
Denver, definitely inaudible -- when travelling eastbound in the daytime through
the Nebraska panhandle in Oct. 2002, KWMT didn't start showing up until
somewhere around the small town of Hyannis.

In short, it doesn't cover quite as much as it did back in the day, and both
KFYR and WNAX surpass it now.

73,
Rick Dau
South Omaha, Nebraska