Re: [IRCA] Lower Mainland BC signals ( Van-Vic)

Re: [IRCA] Lower Mainland BC signals ( Van-Vic)

Bill,

CFAX has always had a fair signal here during the day going back to the
60s. I talked to their CE years ago and was told that they had a null in
my direction to protect KWJJ-1080 and KNX-1070. I guess they use the
same pattern day & night. The CE said, the power was somewhere around
35-50 watts in my direction. I have never noticed distortion on CFAX
here. both CFAX & CKNW I listen to often.  CKST 1040 is almost
non-existant here days now. I can get a carrier and extremely weak
audio. At night they are fair off the NE EWE, but nothing like CKST used
to be. Unbelieveable a 50KWer so close to me days (200+ miles) could be
that weak, even running their  pattern. No other Lower BC station has
that kind of a null this way. Even 1320 is weak u/KXRO and 1470 a bit
stronger under KELA. Both of them null this way too. It would be
interesting to drive from the CKST site to the SW and see how fast their
signal would drop off during the day. My noise level here is very low
and there is no other stations on 1040 now that Portland is gone. I
think CKST has to protect 1050 Seattle and maybe 1030 Shelton WA.
   Late afternoons this time of year, I start getting weak audio on CKST
though. Now if I had a beverage to the NE, I probably would get them.
73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside OR