[IRCA] IBOC signal question

Gang,

It occurred to me a while back that as much as some stations push their "high def" signal, I don't know anyone who has one of the radios. I can hear the hiss from WHO (1040) in Des Moines from about 1022 to 1057. It may be wider but those are the points where other station manage to get through. WHO's transmitter is about 40 miles from my house as the crow flies. I don't know how much this costs each station every month, but it seems in tight economic times, stations would not be wasting money on dubious "features" that nobody uses. Are they trying to make money off this in some way I don't know about?

Thanks,

Steve
--
Stephen Hawkins NG0G