Re: [IRCA] DXers under the age of 30

When I was 16 years old, in early 1976, I thought I was a pretty accomplished DXer -
Received a sample IRCA bulletin in the mail and discovered there were others like
me locally - after sucking up my courage for a week or so, I got on the telephone
and called one Nick Hall-Patch - a very cool dude (as it would turn out) a mere
9 years older than I.

By September 1976 we were on top of our game receiving numerous European countries
on medium-wave with some pretty basic equipment. In my case, a DX150B and a 300 foot random
wire antenna terminated at 75' up a Douglas Fir.

Some 35 years later, and a little older, I would say that I am still optimistic
about the radio hobby. I would definitely NOT want to be 16 again -- unless it
was back in 1976 -- to do that all over again. As much as I am enjoying the
year 2011, I would not want to be a young person in it!

But God bless the young hobbyists out there!

My thoughts,

Colin Newell is the editor and creator of Coffeecrew.com, DXer.ca and BobHarris.com Amateur Radio VA7WWV - Victoria B.C. Canada | Twitter.com/coffeecrew