From: "Stephen Airy" <pianoplayer88key@xxxxxxxxx>
<irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2011 5:59 AM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] KXXA-1520 WA

That's interesting, Patrick.

I'm near the west coast, too - well actually something like 15-18 miles
inland (not sure how to exactly calculate it due in part to curvature of the
coastline and especially a bay (San Diego) west of me with a peninsula just
beyond it. I tuned to, and recorded 1520 earlier this morning, and I
definitely heard a station pretty much owning the channel, but I never heard
them ID as "KOMA".
Is it reasonably possible our distance separation on the west coast (me
being just east of San Diego, you being some distance west of Portland)
could have something to do with you and me hearing different stations on
1520? (I can detect another station under the one i'm hearing, but only by a
sub-audible heterodyne, or occasional hints of modulation.)
What format does this "KOMA" you're referring to carry? The station I hear
seems to be a news/talk station. Also I get a not found error when I try to
visit the KOMA-AM page on radio-locator (the FCC AM Query site is down right
now).
I generally aim my antenna east (maybe slightly north to get a better null
from 1530 KFBK's IBOC) to hear 1520. Do I need to aim maybe northeast to
hear KOMA, or maybe west and listen in the early morning for a station from
Korea bearing those calls? ;)

73,

Stephen