Re: [IRCA] Oklahoma TP`s 2-23-11

UNIDENTIFIED. Tnx to a tip from nearby Richard Allen, near Perry OK, that he was getting 774 Japan audio for the first time this year on Feb 21 at 1306-1311 UT, I resumed performing a 9 kHz trans-Pacific carrier bandscan Feb 23 at 1305-1307 in USB, 1307-1310 in LSB. This is with the DX-398 on 9-kHz steps, using only its internal antenna indoors; its BFO happens to be misaligned about 0.4 kHz low so if there is a carrier I hear a tone around that pitch. Seldom are any strong enough to provide audio with this setup.

On USB I found carriers here: 693, 738, 774, 828, 972, 1116, 1125, 1134, 1242, 1278, 1323, 1404, 1413, 1422, 1566. Altho it was a bit later and signals may have faded somewhat, hardly any of these were heard on the way back down in LSB mode. I usually have better results with USB than LSB for some reason, altho certain frequencies ought to do better on LSB depending on which side of 10 kHz channels they are on. Today`s sunrise was 1310 UT, and it`s moving about one minute earlier every day. These signals indicate we are pulling out of the `mid-winter anomaly` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)