[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, Dec 15, 2010 - Jan 2, 2011

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, Dec 15, 2010 - Jan 2, 2011

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

** AUSTRALIA. Check 120m almost every morning, but nothing from the VL8s has made it here vs the high noise level for several weeks. Dec 20 at 1337, I am hearing music with a YL singer on 2325. Only a weaker carrier on 2485, and unseemed any signal on 2310 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Also applicable to 1010, CFRB, of course:

** CANADA. 6070, CFRX Toronto: having welcomed the appearance of the Phil Hendrie Show on SW, lately I`ve been hearing stand-up comedy instead after 0600 UT, including Dec 29. Yes, the program schedule for CFRB at
http://www.newstalk1010.com/schedule.aspx
now shows: ``24-7 Comedy Overnight`` Mon-Sat 12-5 am = 0500-1000 UT, so it`s *5-6*, not 24-7! Unlike the originating source:
http://www.newstalk1010.com/247ComedyOvernight.aspx
http://www.247comedy.com/
On the website it`s impossible to tell whether this is based in Canada, but maybe CanCon does not apply to comedy broadcasting? So many `American` comedians are axually Canadian, it should not be hard to comply with that. But who wants to listen to five hours straight of stand-up in the nightmiddle?

Not much else of obvious interest on the CFRB schedule, except they are carrying 60 Minutes, from CBS at the same time it is on TV, UT Mondays 0000 (but what about delays for stupid ballgames at least on TV?). CFRX also has CBS's Weekly World News Round-Up, Saturdays at 1000-1100 UT; or after current news? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1570, XERF, Dec 19 at 0605 anthem by male soloist with orchestra, but not the Mexican NA, 0606 into Spanish conversation. Maybe the Coahuila state anthem plays after the NA at 0600? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1580, KOKB Blackwell, here we go again. Dead air, open carrier, Dec 23 at 1444 UT allowing CCI to be audible from preacherstation, still at 1555; meanwhile // KOKP 1020 was modulating normally (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1580, KOKB Blackwell had resumed modulating around 1830 UT Dec 23 following open carrier earlier that morning. But once again dead air before and after 2200 UT Dec 27 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Finally tracked down the active 1670 kHz talking house, traces of which I have heard while driving around western Enid, Dec 30 at 2100+ UT. I figured it`s farther out in the NW quadrant, and so it is. Near Purdue and Oakwood I was hearing the swishy signal strong enough to copy the address: 3017 Falcon Crest; poor dixion of Greg Winkeljohn first made it sound like South Crest, no such street, but found the correct one on my map. Only way to access it was to circle around to the east and south and back west into a newish development. Did not bother to record, as it`s quite similar to the previous ones from same realtor, but did photo the house, with the 1670 sign afront:
http://www.w4uvh.net/1670th3017a.jpg

It`s also on his website, with a slide show of the interiors, price $439,900: http://www.enidhomes.com/homes/683286.htm
But no shot of the radio station! And as usual, no antenna visible from the outside. However, there was this emblem embedded in the ground near the front door by the owners who want out:
http://www.w4uvh.net/1670th3017b.jpg

Mentioned in the spiel and on the site is a ``Jack & Jill bathroom`` which sounds ominous, if you know the kidsong --- no running water? You fall down and break your crown?

There were many more houses of a similar style in the area, but surprisingly few inhabitants stirring in our record-warm midafternoon, 70 degrees. But 3017`s neighbors were pulling up their Xmas lights. Driving away on caradio, losing 1670 within a semimile, and gone by one mile, while moving with the noise level increased. I suspect my tyres are generating static electricity against the dry, dry pavement (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. 1521, quite a het to KOKC 1520, Dec 18 around 2345, and still but weaker at next check Dec 19 around 0145 on caradio. Presumed BSKSA 2-megawatter at Duba in the NW corner, the prime alert for trans-Atlantic MW openings. Pulling any audio separate from 1520 is another matter (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 600, Dec 16 at 1803 UT, one semihour before low noon, weak signal on caradio inside Enid with Fox `News` Radio, 1805 ``WMT News Crew [Group?] Update``. This station normally does not quite make it by daytime groundwave, altho I can sometimes get a very weak SAH. Now it`s readable, with some fading, also co-channel underneath, so it`s winter daytime skywave, from Cedar Rapids IA.

Then scanned the entire MW band, but nothing much else, even on the hi end at the moment. I need to do this more, at quiet rural locations around low-noon Solstice (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re my previous report, about where the three FM relays of KSKY 660 Dallas are located, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KSKY
has info about this, altho not all frequencies match. Do such STAs have own callsigns, however unemployed? Tnx to Doug Smith, Trip Ericson and Scott Fybush for explaining this (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Found 'em.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/prefill_and_display.pl?Application_id=1256296&Service=AM&Form_id=911&Facility_id=6591
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/prefill_and_display.pl?Application_id=1256315&Service=AM&Form_id=911&Facility_id=6591
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/prefill_and_display.pl?Application_id=1256330&Service=AM&Form_id=911&Facility_id=6591

I never would have suspected the filing of FM translators under an AM
license like that, but there you go (Trip Ericson, http://www.rabbitears.info ibid.)

You have to click on the pdf linx at the very bottom of each file in order to get the real info on channels, powers, locations, etc. (gh, DXLD)

Because (as Trip noted) these are licensed as STA [special temporary authority] under the AM station's license, they do not have their own separate facility ID numbers or callsigns. To the extent they have callsigns at all, the callsign is simply "KSKY."

As Doug will testify, it's getting more complicated to uniquely match a callsign with a transmission facility these days. The KSKY STA-FM relays aren't the only such example. DTV stations with digital replacement translators don't get separate calls for those, either - so "WTAE-TV" is the call for both the main Pittsburgh ABC transmitter on channel 51 south of town and the low-power fill-in translator (on channel 22) from the WQED tower in the city's Oakland neighborhood. Doug has been using the last few characters of the replacement translator's CP application to identify it, so the WTAE 22 signal is "WTAE-1223AKV" or somesuch in his listings. That probably makes as much sense as anything else. s (Scott Fybush, NY, ibid.)

** U S A. 1200, on caradio Dec 21 at 2149 UT, Spanish from WRTO Chicago dominating, vs English talk from WOAI, with a slow SAH of 20 per minute between them causing deep fades, i.e. 1/3 Hz apart. As the Number One IBOC station, WOAI should be spot-on 1200.000 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1320, Dec 16 at 1809 UT, Rush from KCLI Clinton OK, the dominant station here, but rumble het also audible near low noon, so must not be too far away; prime suspects Fort Smith AR, Lawrence KS, maybe a couple of Texans (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1320, checking out the low het I am getting against KCLI Clinton OK indicating the other station is off-frequency: Dec 17 at 1827 UT, 5 minutes before low noon, I try the DX-398 in the yard. With KCLI nulled, and BFO I do hear a different-pitched carrier and much weaker.

This makes KWHN Fort Smith AR most likely as the source, since KLWN in Lawrence KS is close to opposite from KCLI and would not be audible in KCLI null; further, KLWN is only 500 watts, and KWHN is 5000. Both are non-direxional in daytime (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1430, Jan 2 at 2126 UT on caradio, skywave is inbooming already, and some norteña music is atop the two Oklahomans and anything else on the channel. Retuned just in time at 2159 to hear illegal ID in Spanish as ``KRGI, 14-30 AM``. That`s a new one on me in Spanish, or English. Looked up later in the NRC AM Log 2010-2011, completed in August, KRGI is in Grand Island NE, and format then was NWS/TLK, i.e. in English. Evidently recent change, as find nothing about in in DX News AM Switch or log reports searched from January 10 issue back thru Oct 25.

Checking its own website http://www.krgi.com/ you would think it is still in English, with a weekday talk lineup skewing to far right wackos. Except, as of 0040 UT Jan 3, ``Now playing`` displays ``LA MARIQUITA / LOS RAZOS DE SACRAMENTO Y REYNALDO``. Maybe it`s Spanish only on weekends or Sundays?

Here we go: under WEEKEND TALK schedule for Sunday only, it admits: ``Spanish Programing with Jacinto Corona Noon-Midnight``, i.e. Sun 18-06 UT Monday. At the same hours on Saturday, ``Music (Seasonal Programming) Noon-Midnight`` which I suppose was just now Xmassy, but so vague it could also be construed to include norteña somewhen. As the low SW sun kept getting in my eyes, signals from the north were dominating, with KOZN-1620 NE, KXTR-1660 and KMAN-1350 KS also dominating (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1510, Dec 16 at 1811 UT, two weak stations; one sounds like the still unID Mexican music, format change in Kansas? And the other in sportstalk about the Clippers; as always, heavy splash from KOKC-1520 (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510, as I tune in to strong clear signal, Dec 23 at 1446, ID as ``Hot Talk 1510, KCTE Independence-Kansas City``, back to Mike & Mike on ESPN Radio; running a few words ahead of // KSTP 1500. It`s 10 kW daytimer with a lobe right toward us, tho I seldom notice it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. As usual near Solstice, MW skywave sets in before midafternoon. Dec 30 I was getting KOA 850 already at 2045 UT, and lots of others.

Dec 31 at 2113 UT a quick bandscan on the caradio finds 1550 dominated by ``Branson Radio Live, 1550``, mentions 2009, so another two-year-old recording? Then ad for Titanic Museum. This is really KLFJ Springfield MO, which in daytime is 5 kW non-direxional. It`s completely devoted to promoting Branson, a tourist trap I am proud to say I have never visited despite relative proximity and a number of trips thru Springfield (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 3160, WPJK, Orangeburg SC, 2 x 1580, Dec 19 *1233:45 UT S9+18 carrier on, 1234 sign-on and into Xmas music, no Q-toots this Sunday. BTW, I have included my recording of a previous sign-on toward the end of this week`s WORLD OF RADIO 1543:
http://www.worldofradio.com/audiomid.html
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 3160, WPJK Orangeburg SC, Dec 28 at 1233 tune-in, already underway with pumping black gospel music, good signal. Unfortunately, did not sign on late today.

The FCC-official sunrise/sunset times for Dec are 1215-2215 UT, but WPJK has kept signing on circa 1230 = 7:30 am local, but does sign off circa 2215, often a few minutes late. In January the proper times will be 1230-2245, so that may give us a semihour more of possible reception in the evenings, but sunset is ever later (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 4050-, slightly on low side compared to 1050 and 6050, US commercial station Jan 2 at 0617 with het from TGAV 4052.5, see GUATEMALA. Previously IDed as third harmonic of KWMO, 1350, Washington MO. Now there is an adstring in English with 800 numbers, the first one by a YL about makeup; next one with 800-531-5376, or maybe 521-5375; third one with 800-897-1987 or maybe 397-1987. Then into country music, but fading down. Despite frequent logs of TGAV, had not heard KWMO for a few months and was wondering if they had fixed the harmonic. Occasional appearances may be due to running day power at night, and/or unusually favorable propagation (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###