[IRCA] Began To listen SW since

I was about 10 years old, or 60 years  ago!
In the mid time quite a few years back  became an Amateur Radio Operator
with the call of  N2GKI.
I have a Kenwood R5000 and an Icom R-C  R75.
I have a problem, we bought an apt. in a high  rise bldg facing Manhattan,
the bldg is reinforced with pure iron making the  listening of any AM LOCAL
stx almost impossible, never mind the SW. I have a  long wire antenna
installed from the balcony to one of my bedrooms, nothing  fancy but making sure
it stays as far away from the wall of the bldg. as  possible. Still some of
the bands are completely blank noise and only those with  heavy noise. Is
here any recommendation? I will be very happy if you give me an  advise.
Tnx, 73
LMMéndes
N2GKI