Re: [IRCA] I've Got to Find A Better Method!

Yes the world of a tiny light saves our sanity through the night! I am grateful that my wife is tolerant of my dxing in bed even with the main light on sometimes. She, like most wives/significant others really doesnt care too much for the hobby but she really did though it was cool to hear Japan last season, barefoot even! I wish I could get her interested cause I think she would really enjoy it but she has bad hearing...73 Todd in Woodbury MN

-----Original Message-----
From: HASCALL, DAVID CIV DFAS <DAVID.HASCALL@xxxxxxxx>
To: irca <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Nov 8, 2010 2:59 pm
Subject: Re: [IRCA] I've Got to Find A Better Method!

Stephen - Welcome to my world.  Almost everything is identical, right
own to trying to recall if I have to work or not!    Like Todd, I keep
 small LED flashlight on the nightstand, and a small pad and pen.  I DX
uch the same way.  If I can't sleep, I DX.  I do note that *man made*
oise is lower at odd hours  (4 AM) and that to me makes the band much
uieter and easier to DX.
73,
ave in Indy

-----------------------------
Message: 2
ate: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 13:37:05 -0700 (PDT)
rom: Stephen Ponder <stephen_ponder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
o: Mail Group UltralightDX <ultralightdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ubject: [IRCA] I've Got to Find A Better Method!
essage-ID: <793371.32514.qm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ontent-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
I must have really been stressed out this week!  I woke up this morning
Saturday, Nov 6th, 2010) at 4:00 AM, thinking it was a work day with a
:00 AM
eleconference!!  I was halfway down the hallway, headed toward the
hower, when
 had that Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment and realized that it was
aturday.  Wow!
Anyway, when I got back to bed, I was having trouble getting back to
leep, so I
icked up my DT-400W and earbuds off of the nightstand by my side of the
ed and
tarted tuning around.
I was amazed at the difference in the sound of the band at 4:30 AM CDT
0930
MT) as compared to when I usually DX, which is around 11:30 PM CDT
0430 GMT)!
exican stations which are just barely audible under the jumble at the
ater
ime were booming in, some sounding like they were locals!
Of course, with my wife asleep next to me, I really couldn't turn on a
ight and
ot down station details, so I thought I'd be "cool" and just remember
tations,
requencies, and times so that when I got up later on, I could write
hem all
own in my logbook.
NOT COOL!
I must have been sleepier than I thought I was.  All of those exotic XE
nd
uban stations that I heard and tried to remember have now faded into a
onglomeration of "La Buenas," "Noticias," "Equis Eh Something," and
hat-not.
I seem to remember listening to Cuba's "Radio Rebelde" on 720 kHz,
ominating
ver Chicago's "WGN" around the 6:00 AM CDT (1100 GMT) TOH timeframe.  I
lso
emember hearing Cuba's "Radio Enciclopedia" on 530 kHz with a very good
ignal
round 5:30 AM CDT (1030 GMT).
I've got to find a better method for nighttime (i.e., "bedside")
X'ing!!
A very "sleepy" 73,

tephen H. Ponder, N5WBI
Many great deeds are performed in the small
truggles of life." - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables
ouston, Texas, USA - EL29kn
-Mail: stephen_ponder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
ontributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its
ditors, publishing staff, or officers